Sign in with
Your question

Mysterious issues with system hanging and slowdown

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 5, 2013 6:51:15 PM

So I've just recently(started 2 days ago) been experiencing a very mysterious issue with Windows(7 Professional) hanging and major slowdown after being up for an hour or so.

It just comes out of nowhere and even the smallest thing like task manager has a hard time being brought up.

What I've tested/done:

chkdsk - returned no errors
windows mem diagnostic - returned no errors
memtest - returned no errors
Downloaded openhardwaremonitor - all temps read normal at idle
- CPU(Both Cores): 44-50 degrees
- GPU: 32 degrees

Malwarebytes scan - returned nothing
Comodo scan - returned nothing

Currently updating the bios and will try a defragment.

First thought it was the cpu overheating but that seems to not be the case..

What else could possibly be wrong? I'm trying to do anything to not have to resort to a reformat on the off chance that it's not that at all. I just created this build a month ago and so the install is clean.

Windows 7 Pro
Intel Core i3 3.10GHz
16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
nVidia GTX 650 1GB
MSI mobo Intel 277 chipset
xClio 500W power supply
a c 151 à CPUs
February 5, 2013 10:53:06 PM

Test your PSU or swap in a known good spare.
Run a surface scan on your harddrive.
m
l
February 5, 2013 11:02:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a spare psu but it was running fine until I opened a memoryintensive program that afterward's even closing the program slowed everything down. now it won't even boot to safe mode, as it hangs on loading the system drivers.
m
l
Related resources
a c 135 à CPUs
February 5, 2013 11:03:34 PM

that powersupply sounds of lowquality. ever talt about replacing it with something better?

m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 11:36:16 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS... HIRENS BOOT CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
February 5, 2013 11:40:42 PM

@iceclock It's an after market psu. I've had it for years never any issues.

I'll try that brett thanks
m
l
a c 135 à CPUs
February 6, 2013 1:24:36 AM

i know powersupplies well and xclio doesnt make great ones, only have a few decents ones.

maybe its time for a new ps.

m
l
February 6, 2013 3:38:14 AM

Thanks icelock I'll keep that in mind.

*update*

Used "last known good config" when booting, so far so good, although when clicking the start menu>all programs>any folder the default file icons(the little paper with tucked in corner) linger for about 10 seconds before loading the image icons appropriate to the programs. Usually this isn't a big deal, but on a fresh boot with no programs running, they shouldn't linger at all.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but that's a sign of a slow/dying hdd right? All other programs work fine for now, although the "last known good config" reset all my program licenses and drivers. But we'll see in about an hour if it starts to hang bad again.

Thanks for the replies.
m
l
a c 135 à CPUs
February 6, 2013 9:24:12 AM

maybe, reinstall windows? backup ur data first. might fix the problems

m
l
!