Your question

First Cheap Gaming Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2012 8:54:07 PM

This will be my first gaming pc build, I would like some opinions as I am new to this and have been doing some research because before I had no idea what each of the parts did. My friend has built a computer before so he will help put it together, but I want some opinions on the parts. I am getting all the parts from Microcenter as I have seen some are cheaper than on Newegg.com and I want to get them all from one location.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3750k unlocked $149.99

MOBO: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 1155 ATX DDr3, (5USB), 3.0 (2) SATA 6GB/s, (2) PCLe3, DOGO Multi-VGA $84.99 (If i buy the 3570k this will at thsi price, original is $134.99)

PSU: 750W Silence Mk II ATX Power Supply $79.99

CASE: Cooler Master HAF912 Mid-Tower ATX Case $59.99

GPU: HIS iCooler Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB DDR5 PCle 3.0 Video Card

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $32.99

HD: WEstern Digital 500GB Caviar Blue 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $64.99

I have a monitor mouse and keyboard already, any opinions/advice is greatly appreciated

More about : cheap gaming build

a b 4 Gaming
September 22, 2012 9:30:47 PM

afrodaddy said:
This will be my first gaming pc build, I would like some opinions as I am new to this and have been doing some research because before I had no idea what each of the parts did. My friend has built a computer before so he will help put it together, but I want some opinions on the parts. I am getting all the parts from Microcenter as I have seen some are cheaper than on Newegg.com and I want to get them all from one location.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3750k unlocked $149.99

MOBO: AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 1155 ATX DDr3, (5USB), 3.0 (2) SATA 6GB/s, (2) PCLe3, DOGO Multi-VGA $84.99 (If i buy the 3570k this will at thsi price, original is $134.99)

PSU: 750W Silence Mk II ATX Power Supply $79.99

CASE: Cooler Master HAF912 Mid-Tower ATX Case $59.99

GPU: HIS iCooler Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB DDR5 PCle 3.0 Video Card

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $32.99

HD: WEstern Digital 500GB Caviar Blue 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $64.99

I have a monitor mouse and keyboard already, any opinions/advice is greatly appreciated

I wouldn't argue with processor and motherboard. You will need an aftermarket cooler, for CPU, if you want to overclock. The supplied cooler isn't adequate. CoolerMaster Hyper 212EVO, is a good choice. You will need to ensure your RAM is low profile, so as not to clash, with it.
You don't need 750w power supply, and not THAT one, anyway. 500w is adequate, get 550w, if you want, for a bit of scope. Seasonic,Corsair,Antec,BeQuiet, XFX are all good makes.
Get that case, if you like it.
Your GPU is fairly good value, but also fairly modest. Try to find the money, for something better. HD6850 is not a bad option, if budget is tight.
If you are not getting an SSD, try to get faster HDD, than Caviar Blue. Caviar Black are very good, but Seagate Barracuda are a cheaper option, and still OK.
September 22, 2012 9:36:22 PM

I feel that if you should up your graphics card a bit as well. hd 7850's are solid at the 200$ mark.

Where the heck did you get this price? Are you shopping at a microcenter?
Intel Core i5 3750k unlocked $149.99

edit
also what kind of monitor do you have? Just want to make sure you're not going to bottleneck there. no point in a nice gpu if your monitor can't handle it.
Related resources
September 22, 2012 9:47:37 PM

Quote:
Looks like a good build. I think you will be very happy with it. Those are some cheap prices, where are you shopping?

Agreed, I REALLY want to know :D 
September 23, 2012 12:13:03 AM

Thanks for your opinions and advice guys they help a lot and my mistake, the price of the 3570k is 189.99 I dont know why I put that haha. And if anyone can explain to me what exactly do SSDs do, I would like to know.

@malbluff thanks for the great options, I was thinking of getting that cooler and my graphics I am ttying to find money for the 7850 (I think thats the one) and what is the difference between the caviar blue and black? And for my case I have found a lot of builds using it if theres a hetter one you can
recommend to me that would be nice.

@ctomster my parents just bought some 24" LG slim led monitor for 100something on sale and yeah im thinking about getting a better gpu if I can the money

And to everyone who's wondering where I live im in Georgia and at a microcenter near me theres a 50$ off deal when you buy an I7 the new unlocked one or the 3570k with any z77 MOBO but the mobo im getting has another deal for that price when purchased with a processor.
September 23, 2012 6:33:39 AM

I was :o  to the 3570k price.

SSD's is a form of memory. It is flash memory instead of the typical hard drive which uses spinning mechanical discs.
The advantage is that it is faster and has no moving parts (so it won't break as easily if you drop it).
Disadvantage is that it is a LOT more expensive.

My advice is to stick with a regular hard drive and hold off on the SSD. Spend the extra cash on a solid graphics card. It really is worth it if you are gaming.

When you upgrade you can buy a SSD and make it dedicated to your operating system. Store your files and movies on the hard drive.

In my opinion an SSD isn't needed for your budget!

I'm jealous you have a microcenter with great deals :) 
a b 4 Gaming
September 23, 2012 11:26:59 AM

afrodaddy said:
Thanks for your opinions and advice guys they help a lot and my mistake, the price of the 3570k is 189.99 I dont know why I put that haha. And if anyone can explain to me what exactly do SSDs do, I would like to know.

@malbluff thanks for the great options, I was thinking of getting that cooler and my graphics I am ttying to find money for the 7850 (I think thats the one) and what is the difference between the caviar blue and black? And for my case I have found a lot of builds using it if theres a hetter one you can
recommend to me that would be nice.

@ctomster my parents just bought some 24" LG slim led monitor for 100something on sale and yeah im thinking about getting a better gpu if I can the money

And to everyone who's wondering where I live im in Georgia and at a microcenter near me theres a 50$ off deal when you buy an I7 the new unlocked one or the 3570k with any z77 MOBO but the mobo im getting has another deal for that price when purchased with a processor.

If you're getting SSD, it's fine to use Caviar Blue, as a 2nd drive, for all the stuff you don't need speed for. If you're only getting HDD (no SSD), it worth getting Black, for better performance/speed, for everything.
!