Sign in with
Your question

Getting new graphics card, have few questions

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 3, 2012 2:45:44 AM

Hey I am getting a new graphics card for my PC, I have been getting heavily into Autodesk Maya and I currently have an asus cm6870 computer but the graphics is integrated and not dedicated.

I called asus they said I can get a dedicated nvidia graphics card without a problem with the motherboard or anything so I am pretty settled on a nvidia quadro 4000, I have been reading really good things for the cardfor what I need it for. My questions are:

-Do I need to buy/install a second fan for inside the tower?

-Has anyone ever put a dedicated card into a system with an integrated card? Is it hard to do, is it really going to be compatible?

-How would I disable the integrated card so I can use the dedicated card?

I really want to try and save the money and do the project myself, but would it be worth spending the money to have a computer repair shop install the card for me?

More about : graphics card questions

August 3, 2012 3:21:55 AM

-you'll need to buy an intake fan for the front of your case
front fan more powerful than back fan= no dust buildup
- it isn't hard at all, just stick it in your mobo and then connect your monitor cable to your graphics card and you'll be done.
- don't forget to install drivers
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 3:37:48 AM

Yeah I must agree, it is very easy to install a card. Maybe check youtube for a few pointers. Slot the card in, connect power to the card and bingo.

Just remember to unplug the power from the wall and earth yourself so you have no static on you.
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2012 6:46:14 PM

I use my hdtv for a monitor that should still pose no problems right?
m
l
August 3, 2012 7:00:36 PM

also what would be a good fan to get ?
m
l
!