Sign in with
Your question

Need to choose a GPU for a new build.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 3, 2012 3:26:12 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: by the middle of September

Budget Range: $150-200 (before rebates, preferably)

Usage: Gaming. Most current game owned is SWTOR (other than that, Sims 3, and older games than those two. Like Mechwarrior 4).

Current GPU: onboard graphics via i5-3470 CPU. Intel HD 2500.

Current Power Supply: Seasonic 520w

Other specs: GIGABYTE GA-H77-DS3H motherboard, one DVD burner, three case fans (one w/led lighting).

Parts Preference: None

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI/Crossfire: Not with this PSU- so, No.

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: I figure I just need to be a little careful of the power requirements of the GPU, but I can't think of anything in particular. I would like to get a card that can remain fairly cool when at load. Would like to run SWTOR on High (don't need Ultra, honestly) settings.

I've been looking at several GPUs recently, but I haven't really decided on one yet. The Radeon HD 7770 is the main one I've been thinking about, as well as the 7850s (though they are a bit above the price I would want to pay for it, at last glance anyway). However, any suggestions that are below the $200 mark I'd certainly consider.

More about : choose gpu build

a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 4:00:58 AM

well, the 7850 is currently holding the ~$250 price/performance sweet spot, and the low power consumption may very well benefit you from not having to buy a new PSU

going for past contenders like the 560Ti and 6870, which are cheaper now wouldn't be so bad. as for PSU requirements, i've seen people run a 560Ti with a 500W PSU, so i'd reckon if you don't have half a dozen HDDs, SSDs and high RPM LED fans, you'll do just fine.

the 7770 is nice if you're going lower than 1920x1200. otherwise, they're pretty "eh".
m
l
!