First-ish build; rough $1200 budget

TheBlahMasta

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Hello TomsHardware members, I honestly did not think I would need to post here to get help putting together the parts for a future (sometime before January 2013) gaming computer. However, the amount of information I have tried to process concerning PCI-2.0 and 3.0 and the SB vs IB processors, along with a few other tidbits that I was blown away by, have made me plead for help from the illustrious community here. So, here goes. Please be honest with your concerns and suggestions.

These are the most current parts for my build that I have thought about getting:
CPU: i5-3570k Quad-Core @ 3.4GHz
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB PCI-E 3.0x16 (non-SLI as of now due to cost constraints)
RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60
PSU: Ultra X4 650-W Modular ATX
CASE: Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case BLACKHAWK
SSD: Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC 7mm Internal Solid State Drive
HDD: (From old computer) Some 500GB SATA Hard Drive that I forgot what it actually is.. Future plan is to have a 1TB WD Velociraptor @ 10K RPM

I have thought about OC'ing my build here and there to get a few extra boosts out of it, but right now I just want to get the pieces together and then really think about OC'ing later on. If I'm forgetting any important pieces for this, let me know. (Excluding the DVD, unless that is really important to you.)

Now, here are my concerns. I've heard different things when it comes to the actual increase of performance between the SB and IB processors, along with the PCI-E 2.0/3.0. As this is a budget build, granted I want it to last me quite sometime with future plans for SLI, I don't want to have to upgrade to the newest and latest if I don't have to. If the IB processor only gives me the slightest increase in performance, should I plan for an i7-2700k and downgrade my GPU to [a] PCI-2.0 card(s)? On the flip-side, if you think an IB processor would suit this build, do you think I should downgrade to PCI-2.0 anyways for some reason or another?

So please butcher this build in ways you find fitting and I hope to hear great pieces of advice from you all. :D

yialanliu

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
It probably isn't a problem, but I find installing windows is much easier with a dvd rather than a usb or any other method. Just something to keep in mind.

TheBlahMasta

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Haha. That's not a problem, I have a DVD drive already in my old computer, I just didn't throw it into the build as it's not an influence on the overall price.