Sign in with
Your question

Advice on Minor Upgrade

Last response: in Components
February 6, 2013 1:04:38 AM

Ok so here's the situation:

I built a budget build a couple of months ago as a christmas gift and was wondering which cooling items I should purchase for CPU/GPU/Case with $40. First of all, my GTX 560 non ti performs very well but load temps are 65-80 (normal) but the fan gets very loud and the card causes my exhaust fan to put out more hot air and it heats up my room while gaming.

I was thinking about getting this VGA cooler and OC'n the 560: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or would that be a waste of money? I could also afford a Hyper 212+ and Arctic MX-4 with which i can repaste the GPU or i could get more case fans and MX-4?...

specs:
fx 6100 stock cooler
Galaxy gtx 560 1gb non ti
8gb RAM 1600
MSI 970a-g46 mobo
500w PSU

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

More about : advice minor upgrade

February 6, 2013 1:22:28 AM

before you drop money on your rig. try taking of the side panel on the pc. with the side off look at your gpu/cpu temps. if they drop a lot then look into more case fans. if the gpu still stays where it is in games try using msi afterburner and turn the fan up sooner. in the games try turning down some of the settings so the card not hit as hard. i would hold on to your funds and wait for the newer video cards from ati and nvidia..see if there cooler running then the 500/600 cards.
m
l
February 6, 2013 1:27:47 AM

I think I would save the $40 untill you can add to it and buy a SSD.

Since your GTX560 performs well, overclocking it will increase the heat generated and will heat up your room even more.
Ditto for overclocking the cpu.

If noise is the main issue, then a Hyper212 on the cpu will give you slower turning fans and that will reduce noise. It will come with adequate thermal grease.

On the graphics card, the cooler you linked will cool the gpu better, but the heat will remain in the case until case cooling can get rid of it. That, in turn, will give the cpu hotter air to work with. I would not worry about the temps you are seeing on the graphics card.

What case do you have? If it has two 120mm intake fans or exhaust fans, case cooling should be adequate.
If not, take the covers off, and see if that fixes things.

m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2013 1:28:07 AM

I will definitely try that, thanks for the advice :) 
m
l
February 6, 2013 1:30:06 AM

geofelt said:
I think I would save the $40 untill you can add to it and buy a SSD.

Since your GTX560 performs well, overclocking it will increase the heat generated and will heat up your room even more.
Ditto for overclocking the cpu.

If noise is the main issue, then a Hyper212 on the cpu will give you slower turning fans and that will reduce noise. It will come with adequate thermal grease.

On the graphics card, the cooler you linked will cool the gpu better, but the heat will remain in the case until case cooling can get rid of it. That, in turn, will give the cpu hotter air to work with. I would not worry about the temps you are seeing on the graphics card.

What case do you have? If it has two 120mm intake fans or exhaust fans, case cooling should be adequate.
If not, take the covers off, and see if that fixes things.

Noise is definitely the main problem here, newegg has some high static pressure fans for 10 bucks right now so ill take a look into that or may end up getting the 212

and my case is the zalman z9, it has 2 120mm side spots but the fans would be on a grate, which makes a buzzing noise when mounted on :/ 
m
l
!