Wanting to upgrade my PC for more fps but I dont know what to upgrade

psychostoner

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I'm playing games like Hawken and planet side 2 and in planet side i get max aorund 40 fps which isnt good enough for me at all. Hawken i get around 50.

Here are my specs.

It has a 5850 amd graphics card (overclocked)
4 gig ram domintor (overlocked)
6 core amd phenom (overlocked)

Detailed specs....

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 6/27/2012 8:59:08 PM Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-890GPA-UD3H
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (6 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-890GPA-UD3H
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. FA 04/07/2010
new USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details) new Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details)
Last Used
Generic STORAGE DEVICE, s/n 000000009744, rev 9744 8/30/2012 4:45:22 PM None discovered
Drives new -- drive encryption Memory Modules c,d
500.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
362.83 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI iHAS124 B ATA Device [Optical drive]

WDC WD5000AAKS-22V1A0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAWF6266683, rev 05.01D05, SMART Status: Healthy 4094 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' is Empty
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' has 2048 MB
Slot 'A3' has 2048 MB
Local Drive Volumes new -- volume encryption

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 500.00 GB 362.83 GB free
Network Drives
None discovered
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Frank 8/30/2012 4:43:52 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator 7/13/2009 10:08:59 PM (admin)
Guest never
HomeGroupUser$ never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account

Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
Controllers Display
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (2x) ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series [Display adapter]
Sony SDM-HS95P [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 6395100, August 2005)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (3x)
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (4x) AMD High Definition Audio Device
High Definition Audio Device
Razer Megalodon
USB Audio Device
Virus Protection [Back to Top] Group Policies
Microsoft Security Essentials Version 4.0.1526.0
Scan Engine Version 1.1.8704.0
Virus Definitions Version 1.135.147.0
Realtime File Scanning On
None discovered
Communications new -- connection speed & status Other Devices
↑ Linksys WUSB600N Wireless-N USB Adapter with Dual-Band ver. 2 #5
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.2 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:25:9C:F0:A5:6D
Connection Speed: 24 Mbps
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
↓ Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Dhcp Server: none responded
Physical Address: 6C:F0:49:E7:DB:DD

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.1.1
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)
HID-compliant device (2x)
USB Input Device (5x)
CANYON USB PC CAMERA
HID Keyboard Device (2x)
HID-compliant mouse (2x)
USB Composite Device (4x)
USB Root Hub (7x)
Generic volume shadow copy

Solution
The GTX580 is still a good card by today's standards, not much need to change that. Though if you were going to, I would wait until the Radeon HD8000 or the GTX700 before doing so, otherwise the performance jump wouldnt really be worth the cost.

Unless you have faith that the Piledriver CPU's are going to be a massive step forwards, best off switching to Intel. I would wait until mid-next year when the Haswell CPU's release on the LGA1150 platform. Cant give much more info then that as nothing has been confirmed yet.

Quite simply, what you have now should be fine. Dont know why you aren't getting good performance.

psychostoner

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
ok thank you for the reply! quick question.

Im pretty sure my grahics card is overclocked. If I replaced it with the new graphics card will it mess it up? do I have to go in the bios or something to downclock the graphics card? I dunno how to do that im really bad with hardware and ocing.

Pretty much every motherboard chipset on the market has a 16x PCI-E slot as standard (including your board), so if you plug into that there wont be a problem with motherboard bottle-necking. Its usually the top PCI-E slot.

I doubt a Hex-Core Phenom II would bottleneck graphical performance.

For the price of a GTX580, the GTX670 is a much better option.
But yes, getting a modern card of that caliber will be a big improvement over the HD5850 you have.

An SSD wont really improve FPS, but will decrease the load times of any games installed to it. SSD's are more useful for general Windows operation and boot times.

More RAM also doesn't necessarily equal more performance, rather the lack of it degrades performance. 8GB is plenty for a gaming rig.

psychostoner

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
ok well im playing planet side 2 and its like completly unplayable. in a big battle i get 6-12 fps and it stutters constantly.....

it makes me wonder if its my cpu since people say they can play the game on max with a 5850 here.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/hardware-question.18171/

sooo 670x 8 gigs ram 1600 and what mobo and processor would be best?

Then the bottleneck must be elsewhere, because a Phenom II and a GTX580 is plenty for gaming.

The motherboard you have supports a PCI-2 16x slot, so you aren't being bottle-necked by PCI bandwidth.
8GB of RAM is more than enough for gaming, there are even arguments you don't need more than 4GB.
700W (assuming it can actually output that) is plenty for a single card and an AMD chip.

Might be a software problem, not sure. You downloaded all the drivers for the card? Running a lot of anti-virus' is a good way to kill performance.

Even if the game is CPU intensive over GPU intensive, I dont see how your current CPU would be a bottleneck. Despite its age it is still a decent chip, especially compared to recent AMD offerings.

The GTX580 is still a good card by today's standards, not much need to change that. Though if you were going to, I would wait until the Radeon HD8000 or the GTX700 before doing so, otherwise the performance jump wouldnt really be worth the cost.

Unless you have faith that the Piledriver CPU's are going to be a massive step forwards, best off switching to Intel. I would wait until mid-next year when the Haswell CPU's release on the LGA1150 platform. Cant give much more info then that as nothing has been confirmed yet.

Quite simply, what you have now should be fine. Dont know why you aren't getting good performance.

Solution

psychostoner

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I actually figured out what the problem was. none of my stuff is over clocked and to fix the stuttering i had was turning off my anti virus.......... lol........... but yeah im gunna save my money and wait for sure thanks a ton man your the ***.