Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Server cpu with retail mobo

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2012 2:19:54 AM

Gents:

Can I get away with doing this? My UBUNTU/M2N/AMD5400 backup system is becoming "mossy". I have in mind an upgradable **mixed breed" system to support general online computer usage AND some floating-point-heavy scientific simulations. No gaming, but saving pennies for a 30" monitor. The four (4) components at issue are:

INTEL server CPU: 1240.v2 @ 3.4 gHz
ASRock Z77 extreme-4
EVGA_ 560Ti
2x8G Crucial RAM non-ECC

Current PS=noname 650w
Current monitor = vintage 19"
Current HDD = 500 G SATA
Current full tower case and "precious" legacy Fujitsu keyboard

More about : server cpu retail mobo

a c 108 B Homebuilt system
September 23, 2012 2:21:54 AM

As long as your server CPU is on the LGA1155 socket, it will work.

Also I would replace that PSU before the monitor. Generic PSU's tend to die with a bang that will take the rest of your build with it.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 2:33:35 AM

Yesyesyes ... I got that COMPUSA noname one month ago to replace a 500W ANTEC that went titsup. Part of my "scheme" is to save money with a miserly 70W CPU and the (lesser) 384-core graphics card. I have ALWAYS overbought my PS, but now yes I'm trying to cheap-out!


manofchalk said:
As long as your server CPU is on the LGA1155 socket, it will work.

Also I would replace that PSU before the monitor. Generic PSU's tend to die with a bang that will take the rest of your build with it.

m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b B Homebuilt system
September 23, 2012 9:18:50 AM

I don't see why you whant to go for a XEON without ECC RAM? It has the same core as the cheaper desktop CPUs and the only advantage is the ECC support.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 12:46:48 PM

Unless I've gone cross-eyed, ECC-mem costs ten-times ( $223 vs $25 for 1x4G stick at Crucial) what non-ECC costs. I don't have the buck$ for high_life components! Also, you want to believe INTEL **bins** their server chips to stiffer QC parameters(?) and I don't want/need CPU onboard graphics.

noidea_77 said:
I don't see why you whant to go for a XEON without ECC RAM? It has the same core as the cheaper desktop CPUs and the only advantage is the ECC support.

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 23, 2012 3:57:18 PM

nss000 said:
Unless I've gone cross-eyed, ECC-mem costs ten-times ( $223 vs $25 for 1x4G stick at Crucial) what non-ECC costs. I don't have the buck$ for high_life components! Also, you want to believe INTEL **bins** their server chips to stiffer QC parameters(?) and I don't want/need CPU onboard graphics.


First change the shop for your RAM! ECC is by far not ten times more expensive but essential for reliable number crunching. Why do you ask anyway if you think you know everything?
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 12:55:38 AM

My fundamental issue was pure CPU/mobo compatibility ... that question got answered quick.


noidea_77 said:
First change the shop for your RAM! ECC is by far not ten times more expensive but essential for reliable number crunching. Why do you ask anyway if you think you know everything?

m
0
l
October 8, 2012 8:10:14 AM

noidea_77 said:
I don't see why you whant to go for a XEON without ECC RAM? It has the same core as the cheaper desktop CPUs and the only advantage is the ECC support.


The advantage is hyperthreading without paying a i7-3770 price and a lower TDP from lack of graphics core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ~ $234

I would recommend this one. 100mhz slower, but $30 cheaper. (Performance increase % smaller than cost % increase)

Xeon 1230 V2 & above have hyperthreading. For those of us who won't overclock, it's a fantastic bargain. Personally I have been drooling over it for ages :) .
m
0
l