Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power on, no power to cd/dvd drive

Last response: in Components
February 6, 2013 2:34:30 AM

Hello,
I installed a new mother board in my Windows 7 HP 6320y computer. The CD/DVD drive doesn't light up, tray won't open. I switched SATA cables with the hard drive and the hard drive works fine. I thought it was a bad CD/DVD drive, so I bought a new one....same problem! I switched the SATA cable back and the hard drive works fine, but the new D/DVD drive still won't fire up. I'm stumped. I've been running Kaspersky antivirus. and doubt virus could be an issue. Help!

More about : power power dvd drive

February 6, 2013 2:57:19 AM

ronbloom said:
Hello,
I installed a new mother board in my Windows 7 HP 6320y computer. The CD/DVD drive doesn't light up, tray won't open. I switched SATA cables with the hard drive and the hard drive works fine. I thought it was a bad CD/DVD drive, so I bought a new one....same problem! I switched the SATA cable back and the hard drive works fine, but the new D/DVD drive still won't fire up. I'm stumped. I've been running Kaspersky antivirus. and doubt virus could be an issue. Help!

did you connect the sata power plug to the cd-rom drives. are they showing up in the bios. on some new mb check that the drives are on the intel/amd sata port. some mb have two sata chipset and most third party chipset are made doe data drives not cd-rom drives. most time the if the mb has 6g and 3g ports there numbers 6g0 6g1. 3g0..3g1.3g2.3g4. most mb try to use blue color sata ports or the same color for the 3g ports. if the drives have power and are on the right port they should show up in the bios and at power up they should blink.
m
l

Best solution

February 6, 2013 10:23:40 AM

Its not os or driver problem. Check out the power supply cables, or the power suply itself.
Related resources
February 7, 2013 2:26:11 AM

selfmade_exe said:
Its not os or driver problem. Check out the power supply cables, or the power suply itself.

Thank you for your response!

I will check out the power supply - my computer guru friend just mentioned the same thing by phone...got to be getting closer to the truth!

I'm not much of a techie...the old power supply appears to be working fine. The computer doesn't appear to be acknowledging the existence of the CD/DVD drive. Could it be that the power supply is providing enough voltage for everything but the CD/DVD drive? Could the power supply have blown out the old mother board? If so, why doesn't it blow the new board? Hmmmm.
m
l
February 7, 2013 2:32:56 AM

smorizio said:
did you connect the sata power plug to the cd-rom drives. are they showing up in the bios. on some new mb check that the drives are on the intel/amd sata port. some mb have two sata chipset and most third party chipset are made doe data drives not cd-rom drives. most time the if the mb has 6g and 3g ports there numbers 6g0 6g1. 3g0..3g1.3g2.3g4. most mb try to use blue color sata ports or the same color for the 3g ports. if the drives have power and are on the right port they should show up in the bios and at power up they should blink.

Thank you for your reply!

You're talking a little above my understanding of computers. Someone talked my through by phone..as computer booted, I hit 'esc' and noted only 'drive 1' listed something, drives 2,3,4 just said 'enabled.' We weren't able to go too much further by phone. Seems to me the computer doesn't see the cd/dvd drive. I can probably get someone to talk my through what you mention. I will investigate power supply issues as well.

Do you think that whatever blew out the system board could have also blown out the dvd drive? But too much of a coincidence that the new dvd drive doesn't light up either.
m
l
February 7, 2013 6:24:21 AM

ron take a look at the back of the dvd drive there should be two cables..the data and a power cable.
http://i-am-fast.com/Pictures/power_connectors_atx.jpg
looking for is the sata power plug that on this image. if there no power the drive wont turn on.
the sata data cable should be plugged in on each end. look at your mb inside ...the sata ports should be numbered 0-4.
some mb have faster ports and some have two sets of sata ports. for now look to see if your hard drive and cd-rom are plugged into the same color ports. (most time there 4 red or 4 blue ports). in the bios of the hp check that all the sata ports are turned on and set to achi mode.
m
l
February 7, 2013 2:48:37 PM

smorizio said:
ron take a look at the back of the dvd drive there should be two cables..the data and a power cable.
http://i-am-fast.com/Pictures/power_connectors_atx.jpg
looking for is the sata power plug that on this image. if there no power the drive wont turn on.
the sata data cable should be plugged in on each end. look at your mb inside ...the sata ports should be numbered 0-4.
some mb have faster ports and some have two sets of sata ports. for now look to see if your hard drive and cd-rom are plugged into the same color ports. (most time there 4 red or 4 blue ports). in the bios of the hp check that all the sata ports are turned on and set to achi mode.

THANK YOU! My error was thinking power also came through the SATA cable. The power plug got lost in the cable jungle. I found one that resembled one in your link, plugged it in next to the SATA cable and ..Voila!

I just love when simple solutions work! A great learning opportunity.

Ron
m
l
February 13, 2013 11:18:12 PM

Best answer selected by ronbloom.
m
l
!