shawncb

Honorable
May 7, 2012
My rig:

CPU- i5 2500k
MB- Asus p8z68-vprogen3
CPU Cooler- Corsair h80i
GPU- EVGA GTX 580 sc
Ram- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I'll make this story short. Built this rig around feb 2012. Issues ever since. My cores would lock up. Called Asus, they said CPU is bad replace it. So I did. I kept getting BSOD. Called and they said it was Memory issues. (which it really was). Replaced it. Now my computer is finally up and running. Then I notice that my cpu is running hot, like 98C. Called and they said that stock intel fans suck... which they do. So saved up some money got a h80i. Well... my pc runs fine, but still the same temperature issues. At idle 40C. When on a load around 95C. I pretty much built this pc to game and spent a lot of money I didn't really have on it. I don't want to have it hitting this temp. What can I do?

satyamdubey

Distinguished
screen shots of temp monitoring programs would help us. what are your voltages? any OC?
ambient temp?, 40C idle is still high for H80i and 95 is only like 4-5 C from Sandy TjMax

for stock speeds, Intel HSF do not suck...not one bit. can you check whether you've installed the cpu cooler right?

shawncb

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Voltage is on auto so it varies. But basically around 1.16.
No overclocking. But my goal was to but I want to wait until I get stock temps right
Ambient: around 23-25C (varies some)
I knew I wanted to O.C. so everyone told me that the stock intel fan would not be good.
Yeah the cooler is on right. I am thinking about disassembling the cooler and possibly seeing if the cpu is not seated right. I would think I would have bigger problems if that was the case.

Or use tinyPC
http://tinypic.com/?t=postupload

satyamdubey - concur they do not suck - They are just at the BOTTOM of the food chain for performace. MY recommend is to leave in box (prevents it from blowing away, and IS required if you have to RMA the CPU).
Unless oing for HIGH end of OC, H20 is NOT needed. Have the Zalan 9900 Max on i5-2500K and works great up to 4.6 ( NOTE 5.0 is only a 8% increase in cpu performance - and that is only a portion in overall system performance.)

shawncb

Honorable
May 7, 2012
http://s91.beta.photobucket.com/user/shawncbartlett/media/Screenshot%20issues/Screenshot_zps2749fbb3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

mcnumpty23-Yes pump is up and running thanks/thought there was a way to attach pics to a reply.

RetiredChief-Okay good to know. But I do have an h80i. So I will keep it installed. The plan is to O.C. But I want to solve this problem first.

Okay so I made some changes in BIOS. I basically restored everything to stock on the cpu. Now the temps are a little different.

idle-40c
Load-72c

It seems to be better.... But is this okay on temp then?

While they are "OK" they are High.
Did not mentin what your ambient temps are as this affects what would be normal.
@ idle should be close to 10 C above ambient Mid 30s normally
and at load about 20 C above ambient. i5-2500 is OK for mid 70's. it starts to throttle ar around 95C

My i5-2500K (4.2 GHz) @ idle is mid 30C and at full load (Runing prime 95 around 60 C. Room temp around 18->20C. Forgot what it was at 4.6, but never hit 70C

i have a 2600k and h80

not the h80i

and the same motherboard

your temperatures at stock speed on load are higher than mine at 5ghz

did you use the pre-applied thermal paste?

did you tighten the block in an x pattern?

ie screw 1 then 3 then 2 then 4

this makes the block go down evenly

shawncb

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Voltage is on auto so it varies. But basically around 1.16.
No overclocking. But my goal was to but I want to wait until I get stock temps right
Ambient: around 23-25C (varies some)
I knew I wanted to O.C. so everyone told me that the stock intel fan would not be good.
Yeah the cooler is on right. I am thinking about disassembling the cooler and possibly seeing if the cpu is not seated right. I would think I would have bigger problems if that was the case.

RetiredChief-So something is still off then I take it. Thanks for your numbers, it puts it into perspective for me.

shawncb

Honorable
May 7, 2012

You know I didn't even think about that. I will try it and I'll re-post an update. Thanks that might be a huge deal. I use the pre applied paste. But I have ARCTIC MX2 Thermal Paste that I got for free from Newegg. Should I take off the pre applied and put that on instead?

shawncb

Honorable
May 7, 2012

http://s91.beta.photobucket.com/user/shawncbartlett/media/Screenshot%20issues/ThermalPastecoverage_zps5a522dea.jpg.html

So the coverage wasn't exactly all over. It really wasn't even covering the cores...
I got my hope up when I saw all of this. And on top of that I re-seated the cpu and found a small piece of debris, what looked like plastic. (it was really tiny, barely could see it with my eye, but knew that it definitely could mess up some stuff. )
I kept thinking oh great I just solved a bunch of issues.... well the cpu is idling at 35C. So a little better and more to the number that it should be. But we will see when I stress it. I'll post in a bit.

Thanks mcnumpty and retiredchief. You guys are helping me a lot. I really appreciate the help.

shawncb

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Okay so I gamed a little on it and it was reaching almost 80C still. I am really starting to think it has a lot to do with Bios. I think that there is something that is just not set right. I am too new at this to know what I am doing in the BIOS set up. I think I will am going to take it into a shop and have them do a proper test, and correct any settings that might not be quite right. Unless anyone knows of a guide for a walk through on optimizing stock configurations. Then if that fixes it, I will overclock.

shawncb

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I went into BIOS and reset to factory and made everything (OPTIMIZED). It auto O.C. to 3.7 and it auto controls voltage... which i thought might be a contributing problem. Anyways started gaming and the CPU is reaching 3.7 (previously 3.3) and temp max was 72C (previously 82, and 98 before the reseating and re-applying of thermal paste) So I am making some progress. hahah

got the same board

and i dont use the auto voltage in the bios for the cpu

it was putting too much vcore through the cpu

that was when the board 1st came out--so newer bios may have fixed that

have always used manual voltage since

when i put it together and started testing i saw brief spikes of 1.6v in cpuz and nearly had a heart attack at the thought of my new 2600k going up in smoke

72c still seems too high for that speed and gaming--though its an improvement

does corsair link show the pump speed?

shawncb

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I have a buddy that has a bunch of pc certifications for different things. He said to see about getting the MB replace. he thinks that it will fix the issues

what do ya'll think?

shawncb

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I dont really know what it means but through Corsair link it says that my pump is 21.75 at idle. 21.78 at Load

Fan speed I personally customized. It is cranked pretty high when on load. 2100 rpm under load. i have it at 1400 rpm during idle

He thinks it is the motherboard because of the issue with ram, then new processor... and driver really never work right. Some little things like bluetooth and usb port are jacked up. Sometime they work, most of the time they don't. We have tried all different bios versions and finally found one that keeps it from blue screening.

thats about the right pump speed then

think if pumps ok and the rad fans ok

then either your friends right and its the board

or some how you are not mounting the cpu block properly

total pain if you have to rma the board

even bigger pain if the replacement has the same temps