Problem with XP Pro

I hope someone can help me. I run windows XP Professional, about 3-4 years
old. When I reboot or start up, the first screen that comes up while booting
hangs for a considerable long time. What can I do to correct this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Earl
2 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Earl Wrote:
    > I hope someone can help me. I run windows XP Professional, about 3-4
    > years
    > old. When I reboot or start up, the first screen that comes up while
    > booting
    > hangs for a considerable long time. What can I do to correct this.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Earl

    Hi Earl

    Try doing a little bit of housekeepeing.

    Goto Start>all programs>accessories>system tools and click on disc
    cleanup. Also right click ie and left click properties. click on
    'delete files' and ok. Click on 'delete cookies' and ok. Click on
    'delete history' and ok.

    Then defrag the machine. Goto Start>all programs>accessories>system
    tools>disk defragmentation. Click on defragment.

    Once done see if anything has improved.

    --
    TJolly

    Thanks PJolly, I am going to try that now

    --
    Earl Clarke.
    glass half full.