Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can my board support am3? (foxconn m61pmv)

Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2013 4:08:57 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice for my motherboard..

It's a foxconn m61pmv
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
^^link to board. (yes, i know its old)

I see it supports am2/am2+ cpu's... but cannot support current gen am3's. So, there any way i can update my motherboard to support am3 cpu's? is there a risk to doing such a thing? am i forever doomed with my current athlon 64 x2 dual core as long as i have this board?

If there's nothing i can do, i'll accept that.. but hoping i can 'beef' up the cpu.

Brian
a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 4:21:43 AM

http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=...

Does not look like you can peroform a BIOS update to stick in an AM3 cpu in it. AM3 cpu have backward socket compatibility with AM2+ but your chipset does not support the second gen phenoms.

hard luck...but i think you might be able to locate AM2+ 95W cpu on auction sites and buy from there. remember 95W

all the best
-satyam
m
l
February 6, 2013 4:31:17 AM

my apologies but... auction sites? aside from obvious ones like ebay, where else would i find an am2+ 95w cpu?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 4:39:07 AM

well it depends on where you live. you might have to scout local vendors to get any "end of life"'ed cpu TBH. whats interesting is that foxconn had phenom II x4 denebs listed as supported till 2011 and have cut the list short in 2012.

calling their customer support might help.

-satyam
February 6, 2013 4:42:56 AM

satyamdubey said:
well it depends on where you live. you might have to scout local vendors to get any "end of life"'ed cpu TBH. whats interesting is that foxconn had phenom II x4 denebs listed as supported till 2011 and have cut the list short in 2012.

calling their customer support might help.

-satyam

hmm... wonder why they had to do such a thing like that.. i shall give their support a call when i can. and completely forgot about calling local vendors. lol thanks for input!
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 4:49:12 AM

good luck Brian :)  hope it works out for you
m
l
February 13, 2013 12:27:10 AM

Best answer selected by bhaney07.
m
l