3 monitor set up vs. One giant super High res monitor

bryjoered

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Ok I know that the resolution is supposed to be 3x 1080p with 3 monitors, but is it really that much clearer? I also hate the idea of there being like a black bar between the screens because of the physical separation of the monitors. I think I would prefer to get one of thos 30"+ 2440x1600 monitors instead. Is the 3 monitor set-up far superior to the big highres monitor?

Solution
The two types of setup are completely different. A 3 monitor setup doesnt give you clarity, it gives you field of view. 5760x1080 doesnt look any sharper than just 1080 since you're spreading it out over 3 screens, it just lets you see more when playing games (adds peripheral vision kinda). When not gaming 3 screens is great for multi-tasking. The bezels arent intrusive once you get use to the setup and realize how it works. You shouldnt be turning your head to look at the two side screens in a 3 screen setup when gaming. If you want to see something thats on the side screen you would turn your view in game as if you were turning your head.

Compare this to a large monitor and you have all the pixels on one screen so the super large...

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
The two types of setup are completely different. A 3 monitor setup doesnt give you clarity, it gives you field of view. 5760x1080 doesnt look any sharper than just 1080 since you're spreading it out over 3 screens, it just lets you see more when playing games (adds peripheral vision kinda). When not gaming 3 screens is great for multi-tasking. The bezels arent intrusive once you get use to the setup and realize how it works. You shouldnt be turning your head to look at the two side screens in a 3 screen setup when gaming. If you want to see something thats on the side screen you would turn your view in game as if you were turning your head.

Compare this to a large monitor and you have all the pixels on one screen so the super large with higher resolution (4k) will give you a much clearer image than 3x1080p, but the field of view will be much smaller.

As far as which is better, this all depends on the game, task, or user. I personally run a 3+1 setup so can have the best of both worlds. For flight sims and other games like them I would NEVER go back to playing on one screen. The level of emersion and situational awareness the extra screens ads is perfect for simulators. Other games like Diablo 3 there really isnt much point in using 3 screens and you're better off with 1 higher resolution screen.

Solution

bryjoered

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Doesn't the 5760X1080 tax the crap out of your card? From what you said it seems like the single monitor is a much better route to take, after all a 30inch monitor 3 feet from you face is enormous as it is, and if I'm going to be taxing my card I might as well get more clarity. As for pricing, the single monitor i've seen for as low as like $700, but would it be better to just spring for the $1000 dollar ones? I only have a GTX 560, which would probably be hurting hard at 4k resolution, so I'd have to upgrade the card first I think.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

bryjoered

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
1600p is insane, I actually found a monitor on newegg for like $1100 that was 1600p. Then I would need a new gfx card (Gtx 670 4 gb) which is like 450 so 1550, plus what? A new psu $100. SO,$1650?

Out of my price range, i have about $1200, so I can afford maybe a 1440p monitor and a 670

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Yes, Eyefinity resolutions (5760x1080) are EXTREMELY "taxing" on a video card, but isnt that what I got the video card for, to have the power for when I want to push it. In the end it comes down to personal preference. Now that I've had an EyeFinity setup, I wouldnt go back, but its definitely not the ideal setup for everything which is why I added a 4th screen so now run a 3+1 setup.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

That sounds right to me. Maybe keep watching dell - they have had a few sales on these big monitors lately. I think that $800 27 inch is a pretty good deal. I personally would definitely do it if I had the spare cash for that and a second 6950 at the moment ...

I am running 3 1080p monitors on one 670gtx. You don't need the 4 gig version guess it would not hurt but it seems to run fine on 2. Also the 3x1080p is more pix than 2560x1440 so you should be fine but you can always get a secont 670 down the road if it's just not enough. I have tried bf3 high settings no ultra but looks great and is very smooth. Wings of prey the hawx games all run fine in the high settings good stuff.

Thent

bryjoered

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012

Yeah, I kno that th 4gb version isn't currently necessary, but If I'm purchasing an expensive card might as well future proof it with the extra VRAM. Max payne 3, for instance, already hits 2gb of vram at max settings and that's only at 1080p . The 4gb version is$100 dollars more. I guarantee there will be a game in the next 2 years that hits approaches the 4gb limit (Arma 3, do to its poor russian optimization), especially at really high resolutions.