My 2.3 ghz processor is running at 900 mhz-- others have same issue

almeida82

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
hi,
when I purchased my laptop I immediately knew something was wrong. I did a little research on the net and realized other people with the same laptop have the same problem.
it has an A10-6400m processor. supposed to be 2.3 ghz-- max's out at 900 MHz though.
im guessing its just a compatibility issue with windows 8-- someone on another forum ran windows 7 on it and it worked fine. but I want to use windows 8, which is what it came with.
any help/guidance as to what I should do?
thanks!

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I had the same problem in my lappy which is a 1.8GHz core 2 duo. Apparently these laptop cpu's tend to change their clock speed when processing power is not needed. i played minecraft and whenever the chunks load the clock speed goes up. and as soon as im home it goes down to 1066Mhz again. It happens to conserve battery life dont get scared :p

cgner

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
Most modern computers will drop CPU speeds when computer idles or does very light tasks. It saves power and keeps the cooler quiet. You do not drive a car at 6000 rpms on a straight, flat road in order to save fuel and keep it quiet.

almeida82

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
did some research.. it was the Samsung software that came with the laptop.
I did a fresh install of windows, and only installed the Samsung drivers necessary without the extra crap.
it is running all 4 cores at 2700 MHz according to cpu-z, and under load a couple of the cores go up to 3200. now I gotta research why its running 2.7ghz/3.2 turbo when its rated as 2.3ghz, 3.2 turbo. im not complaining though!! the system is flying right now-- except that the sata connector is only 3gbps-- that's the bottleneck on the system I think but cant do much about that except exchange it which I might do.
does anyone know how much overall performance i'd gain if I had a 6gbps sata controller on the same system..

cgner

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
sata is not a bottleneck unless u have sata 3 SSD. Even then, its mostly sequential read/write speed that improve. Access time required for vast majority of small files is the same.

satyamdubey

Distinguished

^ This may have something to do with wchich C states you have enabled through BIOS. C states are cpu power states and enabling them allows the cpu to turn on and off certain features as per power demand (this is not related to Cool&Quiet). While you are at it, check the Multiplier your cpu is set at in BIOS.

im not complaining though!! the system is flying right now-- except that the sata connector is only 3gbps-- that's the bottleneck on the system I think but cant do much about that except exchange it which I might do.
does anyone know how much overall performance i'd gain if I had a 6gbps sata controller on the same system..

HDD's read and write at some hundreds of MB/s. SSD's are better still have not closed the gap. So that 3 gb/s or 6 gb/s ports will work at the same speed as your hard dsk read/write speeds are the real limiting factors.

for instance, my 6b/s HDD reads and writes at 96-101 MB/s (varies between those limits on Sandra). It is not close to 6gb/s port data transfer capacity and so I see no difference even when I attach it to 3 gb/s ports.

lastly, update your windows installation...that solves a lot of minor glitches too.

good luck
-satyam