New Gaming Build Mid Range

Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime next week hopefully!
Budget Range: Quite flexible but i guess around $1000 to $1200 USD which is roughly $1200 to $1450 NZD atm (Website is in NZD). But would really really like to keep the cost low as there are other things i want to buy, new guitar/snowboard etc
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Surfing, Watching Movies
Are you buying a monitor: No
Parts to Upgrade: Entirely new PC, Already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor
Do you need to buy OS: No (Have Windows 7)
Preferred Website for Parts: Price Spy, also could use PC Part Picker NZ but it's prices aren't as cheap/ it doesn't include all of New Zealands stores.
Parts Preferences:
CPU - Pretty set on getting a third gen i5 because from what i've read getting an i7 would be overkill for gaming. Altough not entirely sure which one..
Video Card - Definitely want an AMD Radeon over the GTX since i will possibly try eyefinity in the future. Pretty much decided on the 7850, 7870 and chose the 7870 since i think i can get away with not getting the 7950 (Keeping the price down!).
RAM - Guess i will be getting 8GB , not too sure about choosing 1333 or 1600/ the brand and which will be the best for the system
Hard Drives - Would like an SSD for windows + 2-3 games and a large HDD for storage.
Case - I'm quite picky on how i want it to look but don't want to spend too much so have narrowed it down to a few options which i will link below because i'm not sure which will be the best.
Overclocking: Possibly, would like to know if i should or not. Have never done it before (Surely i can do it after reading a guide or 2).
SLI or Crossfire: Crossfire as an option for in the future. (Will get a new PSU at the time if i do, so i don't have to spend as much on the PSU at right now, just so you guys don't choose one with crossfire in mind.)
Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080
Additional Comments: Will be playing games like GW2, LoL, BF3 SC2 hopefully on medium-high settings (Would also like to do some recording with fraps).
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Been using my laptop for gaming these last few years which runs games on low settings if at all, I have always wanted to build my own PC. Fortunately my laptop broke last week so i now have the encouragement to finally take action.

Ok so here is what i have chosen so far, I have done a fair amount of research but i am still a noob.. I would just like some advice on what i have chosen and i have narrowed it down to a few options in some places (Although please feel free to suggest different parts!). Also confirmation that the parts will all work together as this is my first time making a computer i don't want buy everything and have it delivered only to realize some things aren't compatible.

CPU: i5 3470 ($263) vs i5 3570K ($320)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD7870 IceQ X HDMI Dual-DisplayPort 2GB ($381) Or If anyone suggests a better brand to go with from here
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ($203) seems like a decent board with plenty of upgrade options.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4GB ($74) Really didnt know what to look for (so many brands to choose from), I just chose this one since it was a fairly cheap 1600Mhz with a reliable brand name that i recognised, would love for a better suggestion!
Hard Drive: Seagate 64mb 2TB 72,000RPM ($139)
Solid State Drive: Intel 330 Series 2.5" SSD 120GB ($145) or Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128 128GB ($152)
Case: Raidmax Altas ($80) or In-Win Mana 136 ($77) or is the Raidmax Aeolus ($125) worth the extra $50 or is this difference in price only from how it looks.
CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ($50)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 ($30) i suppose.
Power Supply: ?????

^Ok so really no clue which PSU to get/ don't even know how much voltage i will need. Here is a list of them.

Never owned a powerful PC so wondering how loud it will be, do i need to purchase extra fans.

Would like an opinion whether to get the 3570K and overclock it myself (Will have to learn how to) or to just get the 3470, will the system be bottle-necked by the CPU if i get the 3470? And also if i go with the 3470 and don't overclock will i still need a CPU cooler.

Oh and would a sound card make much difference? i know most people don't get one since they're built in now but is it worth it.

Thanks guys! sorry for asking too many questions/rambling on.
5 answers Last reply
More about gaming build range
  1. can you afford this?
    XFX Core Edition P1-550S-XXB9 550W

also the thing that stands out is getting a 2TB hard drive. if you are not storing a lot of videos or such a 500GB might be enough for you.

after looking at your link; this will work also . .i am a big XFX fan since they are made by seasonic is why i suggested the first one. btw 550 watts is plenty for your rig with any graphics card.
    Antec TruePower New Series 550W
  2. Yes The Antec looks perfect thank you :)
  3. Oh and yes i definitely want 1-2TB i do have lots of videos, music etc
  4. Marc49 said:
    Yes The Antec looks perfect thank you :)

you are welcome. sorry i really can't help with choosing a case. mine are POS i find in dumpsters.

though they all look like they have enough fans to help provide cooling. especially since you are not using a multi gpu solution with graphic cards that get hot and would be putting two ovens in your case.

overall the build looks good. but i am sure a few people could nit pick it :p

really you did a good job. just hang out for a few more replies if i missed anything major.
  5. That's ok thanks for the PSU suggestion
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems