Sign in with
Your question

CPU Running Hot

Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2013 6:42:02 AM

I just got an i5. I checked through the bios and it said it was running around 99c. What can I do to fix this?

More about : cpu running hot

a b à CPUs
February 6, 2013 8:58:11 AM

Cracken62 said:
I just got an i5. I checked through the bios and it said it was running around 99c. What can I do to fix this?

Laptop? Desktop?

Post system specs and parts.

Then clean dust out of vents. You might have applied the thermal paste incorrectly or your heat sink is failing.

After you tell us more about your PC and problem, I'm sure someone can help.
February 6, 2013 3:48:32 PM

robax91 said:
Laptop? Desktop?

Post system specs and parts.

Then clean dust out of vents. You might have applied the thermal paste incorrectly or your heat sink is failing.

After you tell us more about your PC and problem, I'm sure someone can help.

Z77mobo.
I5 3759-k not overclocked.
Gtx 460 se.

Nothing crazy, 4 gb of ram. Mechanical hard drive.

The mobo is around 35c, the CPU is around 95, verified by bios.

Another forum said the thermal paste was bad but it came pre applied on heatsink. Others said the heatsink was mounted wrong but it seemed like there was only one way for it to go in. Should I just take it off and press it on harder?

Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2013 8:35:40 PM

Cracken62 said:
Z77mobo.
I5 3759-k not overclocked.
Gtx 460 se.

Nothing crazy, 4 gb of ram. Mechanical hard drive.

The mobo is around 35c, the CPU is around 95, verified by bios.

Another forum said the thermal paste was bad but it came pre applied on heatsink. Others said the heatsink was mounted wrong but it seemed like there was only one way for it to go in. Should I just take it off and press it on harder?

If I were you I would do a couple things as well as what I mentioned before.

1. Verify the fan on your heat sink is spinning while the PC is on.

2. Then go to a RadioShack or local PC store and buy after market thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 or something other than (NOT) cheap silicon based stuff (aka what most crappy stock coolers come with pre-applied).

3. Look at your case airflow. Is your 460 blowing hot air on the heat sink? Is fresh cooler air blowing to the heat sink? If not, this could be a big problem because stock coolers are barely good enough to cool CPUs under moderate conditions,

Lastly, update your bios. It could be reading it incorrectly. To make sure it is running at 95c, download a free temp monitor program like RealTemp (no install just download and drop the zip contents into a folder on desktop).

EDIT: Not the best video, but it is relevant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz_UuFNa9RE
February 6, 2013 9:24:14 PM

I got it fixed. Turns out the heat sink was not in all the way. Took it out repressed it in and boom, now running around 45c.
!