Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Under $2000 build

Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2012 6:18:04 AM

I'm building a new pc. Initially I was going to get a pre built one from cyberpowerpc, but then I heard all those negative comments about them. figured it was pretty much a hit or miss with them. So now i've decided to build my own. I'm a complete noob when it comes to building one. so i can really use the help. as in the topic my budget it $2000. these are some of the parts that i've already chosen. let me know what you think of them. and if you could direct me towards a step by step guide to build this, that'd be great. Thanks

Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime next month

Budget Range: under $2000. btw what is after rebates?(complete noob, i know)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies, Surfing the net etc. gaming mostly though.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon or any other *trusted* international shipping place. I don't live in the us.

Parts Preferences: I would like to use an Intel CPU & Asus(where can i find a hierarchy for mobos?) mobo with a Mid tower case.

Overclocking: No/Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: In the future maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Parts I've already chosen:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D Mid Tower
Cooling: Corsair Hydro 100
Motherboard: Asus P9X79(dunno if i should get a pro or deluxe or le or something else)(also if u have other suggestions that'd be great)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB(4GBx4) DDR3/1600 MHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (should I get 2gb or 4gb? also EVGA is the best one right?)
Power Supply: 700 watts(any major brand recommendation?)
Hard Drive: 120GB for main and 1 tb for data.(any major brad recommendation for this?)
Optical drive: Internal Blu-ray Drive & DVDRW, 3D playback combo drive. I'm thinking about LG.

well, that's what I've already got in mind. I'm open to any changes in those, if you think there's a better choice :) 

More about : 2000 build

September 23, 2012 6:20:24 AM

That system is way overkill for what you'll be using it for. There's no point in X79 on a gaming build and the 3820 is pretty pointless compared to the 3770K, and even then you won't fully utilize it. The H100 is a waste - if you're going to do liquid cooling, use the real thing or not at all.

If there's a store you're buying from post a link as knowing local availability and pricing will help to suggest parts.

m
l
September 23, 2012 6:50:02 AM

i'll be using it for gaming on ultra or high settings. so what motherboard should i get and is 3770k basically just the same in performance compared to 3820? which one would you recommend?

and what liquid cooling will you suggest?

i think i'm going to use amazon to buy the parts
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2012 6:51:46 AM

btw. can you recommend brands for sdd and hdd?
m
l
September 23, 2012 6:55:15 AM

ausamnco said:
i'll be using it for gaming on ultra or high settings. so what motherboard should i get and is 3770k basically just the same in performance compared to 3820? which one would you recommend?

and what liquid cooling will you suggest?

i think i'm going to use amazon to buy the parts

I would purchase the 3570K over the 3770K over the 3820.

And then I'd just skip liquid cooling entirely - it's too much risk for not a lot of payoff. A strong air fan is better than a closed plastic liquid loop any day of the week.

But again if you post a store I can recommend HD and SSD. It'd probably be better to use a local source other than Amazon to purchase parts.
m
l
September 23, 2012 6:58:19 AM

Amazon is the only good international one i can find. so Amazon i guess :) . btw what mobo's will be compatible with 3770k(i think i'm going to go for that one)
m
l
September 23, 2012 7:30:31 AM

Where are you from anyway? I'm sure there's at least one store where you are that's better than Amazon.
And IMO, getting an LGA2011 mobo isn't such a bad idea if you want to futureproof things.
m
l
September 23, 2012 7:33:15 AM

ausamnco said:
Amazon is the only good international one i can find. so Amazon i guess :) . btw what mobo's will be compatible with 3770k(i think i'm going to go for that one)

Maybe try Asbis but I can't see if they ship to Maldives or not: http://www.asbis.com

Also try Flipkart: http://www.flipkart.com/
m
l
September 23, 2012 7:41:20 AM

well, i do want this pc to run for at least 3 years. so should i get 3770k and a 1155 socket motherboard or a 3820 and a 2011 chipset motherboard. thanks for the suggestions on shops.
m
l

Best solution

September 23, 2012 7:53:21 AM

ausamnco said:
well, i do want this pc to run for at least 3 years. so should i get 3770k and a 1155 socket motherboard or a 3820 and a 2011 chipset motherboard. thanks for the suggestions on shops.

No - for gaming get a 3570K and invest more in the GPU - that's how you sort-of future proof a gaming system since most modern games are far more reliant on the GPU than the CPU. The 7970 GHz edition and the GTX 670 are the two best on the market.
September 23, 2012 9:28:23 AM

Best answer selected by ausamnco.
m
l
!