Sign in with
Your question

Will a DDR3 Graphics Card work on my DDR2 Motherboard? Help?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 3, 2012 3:17:12 PM

Will a DDR3 Graphics Card work on my DDR2 Motherboard? Help?

This is my motherboard:
MSI (Micro Star) MS-7592 (G41M4-F) Motherboard

here is the specs for the motherboard:
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid...

I want to know whether i can use a DDR3 Graphics card on my DDR2 motherboard and if its certain to work. Please provide detail and whether it'll be compatible.
If not could you give me links for DDR2 graphic cards which consist of VGA/DVI-I/HDMI

Secondly, how would i use the graphics card to connect my PC to my TV to use Dual Monitor Display, do i need to change settings on the PC or do i just need the wires.

Also, as it's a DDR2 Motherboard i want to upgrade my Memory (RAM) from 1GB to 4GB, please can you provide me links for the DDR2 - 240 PIN RAM as well as i cannot find it?

Please answer in detail and explain to me properly, thanks

would this be compatible with my motherboard aswel?

Sapphire 11166-02-20R HD 5450 1GB DDR3 PCIE HDMI Graphics Card

At the moment im currently running an Intel 641 Express Chipset so it's an on board graphics card but i want to buy my own PCI-E Graphics card
a c 115 U Graphics card
a c 168 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 3:23:01 PM

yes it will work just fine. The GPU's memory is independent from the rest of the system's memory.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 4:02:49 PM

Yes, it will work.
Related resources
November 29, 2012 10:10:35 PM

Pinhedd said:
yes it will work just fine. The GPU's memory is independent from the rest of the system's memory.

no, it cant, yes it will run but your board is having now no longer life span bec. the card you use is more advance than your motherboard and it cant handle it for a longer time you use it
November 29, 2012 10:12:52 PM

Gman450 said:
Yes, it will work.

it will not work.
June 29, 2013 12:07:32 PM

I have a question. can i use ddr3 Ram from a geforce 8400 gs 1gb on my ddr motherboard the asus pg5d1? and i want to upgrade ram from one to 3gb withPNY OPTIMA 2GB (2x1GB) Dual Channel Kit DDR 400 MHz PC3200 Desktop DIMM Memory Modules MD2048KD1-400 can i put these things in my computer?
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2013 3:57:37 PM

You can use any DDR version video card on any DDR version motherboard.

But if you are asking if you can uninstall the vram from your GPU and install it on the motherboard, then the answer is NO!
a b U Graphics card
June 30, 2013 8:11:04 AM

Asuna said:
Pinhedd said:

no, it cant, yes it will run but your board is having now no longer life span bec. the card you use is more advance than your motherboard and it cant handle it for a longer time you use it

I'm not sure what you're getting at there. The HD 5450 can easily run on an older chipset wtih PCIe 1.1 or above. If the PCIe is 1.0, then you'll need to worry. The G41 chipset has a 1.1 slot, which is not going to be a problem.
Asuna said:
Gman450 said:
Yes, it will work.

it will not work.

It will..

November 8, 2013 9:10:23 AM

this will work.
!