Sign in with
Your question

Open but within reason budget

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2012 6:44:48 AM

I'm getting a system within a week, I live in DFW, and I need help on some of the components. I will use this system for Livestreaming gaming on Twitch.TV using xSplit and making YouTube videos using FRAPS. I've gone for the i7 6x to give me lots of power and 32GB memory for room to edit. I feel pretty good about the single GTX 680 but I'm sure I've picked a bad motherboard and I don't know if I need a bigger power supply.

Here is what I have so far in a iBUYPOWER custom build:
Case 1 x Thermaltake Element G Gaming Case-Black
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction 1 x Advanced - iBUYPOWER Harmony SRS Sound Reduction System-
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i7 3930K Processor (6x 3.20GHz/12MB L3 Cache)-Intel Core i7 3930K
Processor Cooling 1 x Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System-ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
Memory 1 x 32 GB [8 GB x4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module-Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - 4GB-Single Card
Video Card Brand 1 x Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA-
Motherboard 1 x ASUS P9X79 Pro -- 4x PCI-E x16, 4x SATA 6Gb/s, 4x USB 3.0, On-Board Bluetooth-
Power Supply 1 x 750 Watt - Corsair CX750-
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s-Single Drive
Data Hard Drive 1 x 240 GB Corsair Force Series GT SSD-Single Drive
Optical Drive 1 x [12X Blu-Ray] Pioneer BLU-RAY Re-Writer, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive-Black

Thoughts? Should I swap something out for something else? Would Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti - 3GB - EVGA Superclocked - Core: 980MHz be a better choice than the single 680?

My budget constraint is that I don't want to spend just to spend, but I willing to invest if there's a reason.

Thanks in advance for your insights and input!

More about : open reason budget

September 23, 2012 1:02:01 PM

lol prebuilts. build it yourself and you will save 200 dollars

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ihUZ

-you dont need a i7 3930k if you are not rendering more than 6hrs a day
-you dont need 32gb unless you are building a ram disk or doing more than 6hrs a day
-the h60 sucks
-4gb cards are useless to you
-the 670 performs like a 680 for 100 dollars less. or even better, a 7970 performs better for the same price of a 670. just that nvidia has their own advantages in games like borderlands and bf3
-x79 is not useful to you as of now
-the xfx xxx 750w is much better than the cx750 no matter how you put it
-you dont need that big of a ssd. if you want it, i can provide the link
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=69939&vpn=VTX4-25SAT3-...
-blu-ray is not needed for gaming pcs
September 23, 2012 11:00:04 PM

Would it be worthwile to SLI dual 670s?
Related resources
September 23, 2012 11:01:48 PM

not yet. if you have a 120hz monitor then id get 2.
September 24, 2012 4:44:27 PM

TheBigTroll said:
lol prebuilts. build it yourself and you will save 200 dollars

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ihUZ

-you dont need a i7 3930k if you are not rendering more than 6hrs a day
-you dont need 32gb unless you are building a ram disk or doing more than 6hrs a day
-the h60 sucks
-4gb cards are useless to you
-the 670 performs like a 680 for 100 dollars less. or even better, a 7970 performs better for the same price of a 670. just that nvidia has their own advantages in games like borderlands and bf3
-x79 is not useful to you as of now
-the xfx xxx 750w is much better than the cx750 no matter how you put it
-you dont need that big of a ssd. if you want it, i can provide the link
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=69939&vpn=VTX4-25SAT3-...
-blu-ray is not needed for gaming pcs

I completely agree with everything said here - especially with the H60 and the SSD. If you post your budget I can suggest a better build.
September 27, 2012 6:53:12 AM

Thanks for the awesome feedback!

My budget is anywhere under $4K. I will likely be rendering enough for the i7 and 32GB by the end of next year. The 670 is likely my choice because I've always had an nvidia and don't see the compelling need to change but I might get two for a second monitor. On the SSD, the larger one was to allow more video to record there before needing to then get moved over to an existing NAS.

On the cooler, fan vs water, is a water option quieter? Fan noise could be an issue.

Finally. if I'm intimidated about building it myself, would you recommend any of the builders like iBuyPower or Falcon Northwest?

September 27, 2012 10:53:53 AM

no. ibuypower and falcon northwest build great rigs but take a nice 20% building fee.

ibuypower is probably known for their ads in MaximumPC magazines ("the power of a 8 core (fx)within your reach")

water cooling is quiet when you do custom. those single rad units are super loud (stock fan) if you use different fans, they are slightly quieter

my rig according to what you said makes sense. no real need for a i7 3930k
September 27, 2012 12:03:30 PM

Liquid coolers CAN be a viable, neater solution, as they don't involve a large heat exchanger/fans, suspended from the motherboard. However, they tend to be a more expensive option, than air cooling, and noise can be an issue, with the supplied fans. Noise can be mitigated, by using a higher duty unit, than is stictly necessary, so the fans can run slower, or by fitting better, quieter fans. Neither option, of course, makes the solution any cheaper.
!