Adjusting the time to "Hide inactive icons"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Is there a registry key to adjust the time it takes for XP to "hide inactive
icons" on the taskbar (by the clock)?

I sometimes want to have icons displayed for about 20 minutes and other
icons to just disappear after about 2 hours.

I already know about the "Always Hide" and "Always show" feature. I want to
know about the way to adjust the time to hide an inactive icon on the taskbar.

P.S. What is the default time in XP for an inactive icon to disappear? 1 hour?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I believe this is hard-coded in and cannot be changed. I have
not heard that anyone has found a setting adjustment for this.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"cmcarthy" wrote:

| Is there a registry key to adjust the time it takes for XP to "hide inactive
| icons" on the taskbar (by the clock)?
|
| I sometimes want to have icons displayed for about 20 minutes and other
| icons to just disappear after about 2 hours.
|
| I already know about the "Always Hide" and "Always show" feature. I want to
| know about the way to adjust the time to hide an inactive icon on the taskbar.
|
| P.S. What is the default time in XP for an inactive icon to disappear? 1 hour?

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

cmcarthy wrote:

> Is there a registry key to adjust the time it takes for XP to "hide inactive
> icons" on the taskbar (by the clock)?
>
> I sometimes want to have icons displayed for about 20 minutes and other
> icons to just disappear after about 2 hours.
>
> I already know about the "Always Hide" and "Always show" feature. I want to
> know about the way to adjust the time to hide an inactive icon on the taskbar.
>
> P.S. What is the default time in XP for an inactive icon to disappear? 1 hour?

Not that I know of.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User