Coolpix 990 and Larger Memory Modules

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b } Memory
September 29, 2005 1:37:42 AM

I have a Nikon Coolpix 990 that I would like to buy larger memory
modules for.

Will this camera support 256, 512 and larger CF modules?

Could you also provide a link that discusses how large memory modules
it can support? I have looked and have found nothing.

Thanks

TMT
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 29, 2005 11:27:42 AM

I started digital photography with the Nikon Coolpix 950 back in 2000
and regularly use 256 cards in it still. I upgraded to the Nikon
Coolpix 8700 but still use both cameras.

* * * * *
Photography Cafe
http://www.photography-cafe.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 29, 2005 1:41:12 PM

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
> I have a Nikon Coolpix 990 that I would like to buy larger memory
> modules for.
>
> Will this camera support 256, 512 and larger CF modules?
>
> Could you also provide a link that discusses how large memory modules
> it can support? I have looked and have found nothing.
>
> Thanks
>
> TMT

The 990 /should/ support CF cards up to 2GB as it uses the FAT16 file
system. However, if you start getting more than a few hundred pictures on
a card it can start to slow down, as it puts all the images into one
directory. The largest card I used was 128MB, and then I upgraded camera!

David
a b } Memory
September 29, 2005 2:08:30 PM

In article <YEO_e.117699$G8.87946@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, David J
Taylor
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
wrote:

> > Will this camera support 256, 512 and larger CF modules?
> >
> > Could you also provide a link that discusses how large memory modules
> > it can support? I have looked and have found nothing.

Actually, your manual has a list of "approved" cards. As the other
poster said, it SHOULD use larger ones... But when I tried a 12X 256MB
in my 995, I got a yellow icon on screen while writing picture files.
Nikon said it meant the camera was taking an abnormal amount of time to
write to the card, so I've stayed with Lexar 12X128's.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
September 29, 2005 2:25:26 PM

I use a 512mp card and it is plenty large for my 3 MP camera.
See my Nikon page at:
http://www.photoprojects.net/index6.html
Gene

!