noorerino

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Hi, I was just wondering if my gpu's are being bottlenecked by my cpu....
While playing batman arkham city, i sometimes get lags while the frame rates are at 50-60fps...
I heard the developers of Batman AC screwed up with the DX11, I have the latest patch of Batman AC which I presume they fixed most bugs. So, is it the game or is it my cpu ?

Specs :

- AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE oc'd at 4GHz (stable)
- EVGA GTX 480 SLI
- MSI NF750-G55
- 8GB DDR3 1333MHz G-Skill ram
- 1000W cooler master silent pro PSU

I checked the gpu usage for both cards and I get 40-70% each, rarely 90%+ usage for each.

thank you for your time!

Don't know why I did not read a PIIX4 965BE.... :/

I agree with the guys, your CPU could be bottlenecking your GPUs. If your CPU is at 100% usage, while playing a game, it means that the GPUs are a bottleneck. You might get better frames with just a single card.

noorerino

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
I just checked the cpu usage: it never goes above 60% (total cpu usage) while playing Batman AC
I did what geekapproved suggested, so I ran Unigine benchmark 3.0 . Here are the results :

@ 4GHz

FPS: 60.2
Scores: 1515
Min FPS: 19.4
Max FPS: 133.0

@ 3.8GHz

FPS: 59.9
Scores: 1509
Min FPS: 19.7
Max FPS: 131.0

The difference is quite small, but there is one... What do you guys think? What can you conclude after seeing those results? Is it a bottleneck? Do you recommend me running single card ?

Thanks for you time, much appreciated.

You should never bench/check anything using only one game or application.
I recommend you run the 4GHz - 3.8GHz test again but use at least 3 games to bench. Personally I would use 5 games of differing types, so not all first person shooters for example.
This way you will get a better representative example of any restriction your CPU may be putting on your Graphics.

Realistically unless the difference doing it this way will be minimal anyway. What resolution are you running at ?
Running some tests then dropping the resolution down and testing again will give you a better idea of any restriction. This is how the hardware sites test for CPU bottlenecks.

Mactronix :)