Case. Help.

harmacintyre

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
How do i know what kind of case i need to buy. i was thinking about the antec 1200, but saw some posts of problems regarding usb sockets or ports related to the fan and the mobo. i am using the asus sabertooth z77 so i am concerned mine will not be compatible. wouldn't want to purchase something i cant use correctly. thanks

i have that mb it fits most mb cases fine. the issue wit hthe mb is that the dust cover makes the board thick so sometime you have to take off the rear fan in some cases to get the mb to fit. the case i used was the antec one case. atec stop making that case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345014
is another small cheap case that should work..the larger cases have more room and are easier to do cable management.
overclocker.net has a asus forum just for this mb that has lot of post and case images.

groundrat

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
I have a 902 and can tell you that the 1200 is massive. You need to make a list of needs versus desires.

Do you need pretty lights?

Do you need to have a five to eight HD raid array?

Are you going to be running a three or four card crossfire/SLI setup?

Do you want to lug around a 45 pound case? (BTW, that is BEFORE you put gear in it!)

I am not trying to turn you off the decision, but people often see a nice case on newegg and impulse buy and regret it later. The twelve hundred is nothing like tool-less and the multiple filters require regular once a month cleaning. If you have pets, more often. The case is steel and very heavy, but that also means that your components will be well protected. The top fan move a large amount of air, but it can be loud at high settings. Cable management is not a breeze, it requires effort and forethought in the 1200, but can be done. Once your hard drives are in it takes a fairly major operation to remove them, so don’t put used drives in, or drives that you ever want to remove.

If all that doesn’t scare you off, dive in. It’s a beautiful case, not for the faint hearted.

A sabertooth will fit without issue.

corvak

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Really hard to name a best case, since it's pretty well personal preference. Any well known manufacturer will likely have quality connectors for the front panel, and will most likely fit an ATX sized board without issues.

Size depends on what you want in it, I went with a full tower TT Chaser MK-1 because I like being able to dock HDDs without rebooting, and I want lots of space inside, and lots of fans. And, an eventual upgrade will probably involve going SLI. But then, I also dont cart my PC around to LANs and such, so a big heavy full tower isn't a setback.

Another issue with big steel towers, is that when you order them, you can get hammered with shipping fees - giant 50 pound boxes arent cheap to move.

harmacintyre

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
i found one for 159.99 with free shipping.

ive really wanted a full size, weight doesnt bother me, im not a 12 year old girl lol

my build is in the couple grand price range and i was just looking to see if anyone had some disturbing news about the case. i am probably going to end up purchasing this one unless another catches my eye