How to disconnect wireless printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

maria123

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hello,
We just added a new laptop to our home network and I was able to connect to our router and the internet just fine. Then we added a wireless printer which also connected. But now the laptop no longer connects to our network properly. Our network connection appears on the laptop but is says no internet access. Our network connection works fine on all the other computers in the house just not the new one since adding the wireless printer. Someone else set up the router for us and I don't know anything about it. I am thinking perhaps I reached the maximum components for the router? So perhaps I would need to remove the wireless printer from the network. Anyone have any suggestions for me.

Solution
Do you use DHCP to assign IP addresses on your network. Sounds like there may be conflict for an address. Your router should handle many connections - probably not the case that you have exceded the max...

I would try to reboot the network, starting from the wall out (first modem, then router, then PCs and printer). Failing that, I would look in the network menus on the devices and see how addresses are assigned.

On the PC, look in Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network Connection, Local Area Connection Properties, Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties and observe how IP addresses are obtained.

eeandersen

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Do you use DHCP to assign IP addresses on your network. Sounds like there may be conflict for an address. Your router should handle many connections - probably not the case that you have exceded the max...

I would try to reboot the network, starting from the wall out (first modem, then router, then PCs and printer). Failing that, I would look in the network menus on the devices and see how addresses are assigned.

On the PC, look in Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network Connection, Local Area Connection Properties, Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties and observe how IP addresses are obtained.

Solution

maria123

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011

Thanks very much. Yes you were correct it was an IP address conflict. I found that when my wireless router was set up (by someon else) that they had a limited number of IP addresses listed in the router settings. I was able to add more IP address and then the laptop and the printer were able to both acquire their own IP addy's .

Status
Not open for further replies.