Sign in with
Your question

New Custom Built Computer issues..

Last response: in Components
February 6, 2013 12:03:43 PM

Alright guys.. I've got a few concerns about a brand new build I did myself. I'm posting in the power supplies area because I believe my main issue is that to do with the power supply.. possibly? Could be wrong completely who knows *shrug*.

Anyways.. here's all the gear:
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz LGA 2011 Processor
CPU Cooling Fan: Respire T40 CPU Cooling Fan
Motherboard: Intel DX79SI Extreme LGA 2011 X79 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules) (x2=16GB)
Hardware: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive STBD2000101
Video Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2662-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked 2048MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x1
Case: EVO Mid Tower ATX Computer Case
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 Series 600 Watt ATX Power Supply

Now I've put it all together, and had a power issue where nothing was getting power. I ended up getting that all fixed, and now the fans are running (4 on the case, video card, power supply, and processor cooler), and the lights come on (motherboard and case). Woohoo we're running!

Anyways.. This all comes on with I flip the switch on the power supply to on. Which is good right? Well right.. but not right. There are only two ways to power down, either A) Flip that switch the other way (of course). Or B) to HOLD down the power button on the case. NOW.. if I flip option A, and then flip is again, comes right back up, no problem. BUT- if I go option B... then I can not get it back on unless I flip option A, and then back on again. Basically the power button isn't working.. UNLESS it's to hold it down to turn it off.. weird right?

Another issue.. is when I plug into my monitor via HDMI... I get absolutely nothing. Monitor doesn't even read the computer.. but the fan on the VC runs? Does that mean the VC is okay, and it's another issue? Or could the fan run still while the card has gone to poo? How do I get this up and running.

My last concern.. is my motherboard. When fired up, and power is supplied to it, two things happen. The BIOS light on the back of the computer (part of the motherboard near the USB ports) stays a solid red. Is that.. bad? But along with that, the status code shows absolutely nothing. Not even "00". The lights come on for the BIOS, the power, and reset switch, and a little green LED guage sort of thing next to it. But that status code is blank, at all times, and the motherboard booklet doesn't say anything about a blank status.

Anyways, sorry if I rambled a little, but I hope that's enough information. I can provide more, and pictures if anyone needs, and I greatly appreciate everyone's help!

Thank you in advance!
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 12:16:04 PM

Most likely motherboard, but could be power supply. test power supply in another computer. if it works time to replace motherboard
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 12:16:17 PM

your other thread was closed

sent you a couple of pms
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 12:16:29 PM

Most likely motherboard, but could be power supply. test power supply in another computer. if it works time to replace motherboard
m
l
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 12:16:45 PM

m
l
February 6, 2013 12:29:07 PM

Power supply tested via paperclip method. It runs, and it runs the LED's and fans, so the power supply is running. I do not have another system to test it on. And are you saying the MB is the cause for all my problems? Or which issue.. How do I know it IS time to switch my MB.. I would like to know for sure, before I go spend the money on a new one.

I know Mcnumpty, I managed to close it out on accident :(  And thank you mate, I'll check them and reply..
as soon as I figure out where they're hidden.......... :) 
m
l
!