Bought a gtx 580 off Ebay-Overheating?

Donnylicious

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Not sure if this is a gpu or psu issue, but my comp goes black during high load games. I hear the fans go real loud (not sure which ones) and the monitor go black. This only happens on hot days so I'm pretty sure it's overheating. Some games, the temp will hit 85-90c I think that's when it goes black. I'm thinking about getting a fan or something but not sure which is a good gpu fan for Galaxy gtx 580. Anyone have any ideas?

drums101

Distinguished
First off open up your pc and blow out any dust in there...take out ur gpu and blow out any dust from the fan on the gpu...if you can remove the heatsink and reapply the thermal paste....use a program like GPU-Z and core temp to get the temps of your GPU and CPU while playing games and let us know what they are.....also are you seeing any artifacts on the screen before the screen goes black?

85c - 90c is within normal limits and common for hot summertime temperatures. If you have anything overclocked, you should set it to default. Hopefully, you have a good enough power supply for the card. I would test a bit before purchasing an aftermarket heatsink, just in case it's not the card itself. If you do get a heatsink, look for the Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
hmm. a bit off topic, it's a function of the PC not the card to hold OC settings, correct?

Secondly, and on topic, he could look at changing out the thermal paste on the core with something better than the stock goop. Depending on how old and used it is, the paste might be dry.

Donnylicious

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks everyone for replies, my psu is thermaltake 850w. I've heard there some issues about these psu's that they don't really supply the amount they're advertised to, but it seems to work fine and as previously stated, the only times my comp goes black is on hot days. I will try cleaning the gpu out, thanks