Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading a Dell Vostro 200

Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2012 11:09:59 AM

Hi,

I have had a dell vostro 200 recently get stuck in the BIOS, with no way of getting to any screens or booting to windows.

I am looking to upgrade the motherboard, RAM and CPU with

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/ihGg

(keeping case, PSU, ODD, HDD, monitor, Keyboard and mouse)

Thoughts?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 23, 2012 11:26:48 AM

It will work, but you'll need a new operating system. The original windows is for dell boards only. But first reset your dell bios by removing the board battery for one minute with the power supply unplugged. Then try posting.
September 23, 2012 11:47:19 AM

Ok. If it helps, I was told that a message had come up about a USB power surge on the printers USB port, and sure enough I couldnt print. I swapped the USB around, and then this happened. Not the first time its done this, but Normally it is possible to get it to boot (have tried the battery and CMOS clear before, but will try again)
Related resources
September 23, 2012 2:04:28 PM

No, still not working. also tried removing the PCI devices. Are you 100% sure it will fit (read somewhere that dell use a propitiatory design)
a b B Homebuilt system
September 23, 2012 2:58:36 PM

If you're worried, then post this question on dell's forum on their website. You may find another used dell board that will fit your case and let you keep your operating system intact.
You may also get this case for only $40 more; it will work with nearly all motherboards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 23, 2012 3:36:50 PM

I take it that being mid tower its the same size as my corsair 400r (which is huge). can you suggest something that is about the same size
a b B Homebuilt system
September 23, 2012 5:13:20 PM

Damn newegg links don't work sometimes. Checkout their rosewill micro atx cases if you just want to use micro atx motheroards. If you like full size atx boards, go with the antec. It's much better quality and the best deal out there.
!