Hyper 212 Evo Overheating

mtl26637

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
I'm having some overheating issues with my system and need some guidance. A quick rundown of my system is as follows:

Case: Apevia X-cruiser
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
CPU: FX-8350
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz DDR3 KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
Hard Drive: SSD 128GB OCZ Vertex 4
Video: 2 Gigabyte GTX 460's in SLI with 2 cooling fans each
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo with additional Blade Master Fan
Power Supply: 850 Watt Thermaltake Black Widow
Case Fans: 120mm Rosewill rear exhaust, 80mm Rosewill top mount exhaust, 2-80mm Rosewill front mount intake

My system idles around 25 celcius but when I run Prime95 it gradually increases up to around 60-65 then after about 10 to 15 minutes it will increase up to mid 70's and as high as 80+ until I stop Prime95. This is running with NO overclocking. I have all throttling disabled in the BIOS since I wanted to try to overclock but until I get this overheating issue taken care of I'm stuck at stock speeds. I've re-seated the cpu cooler several times and reapplied the arctic silver 5 paste several times with no change. I can even run my case without the side panels and still have the exact overheating issues.

I don't understand why my FX-8350 is getting so hot even without side panels installed. The Hyper 212 Evo is setup in a push/pull setup with the additional fan and I get really good air flow through the coolers heatsink. I'll also note that when the temps get this hot, the air flowing through the heatsink doesn't feel very hot when I put my hand in front of it's fan. These temp readings are using AMD Overdrive and CoreTemp programs, and the same temps are read through the BIOS too. I know this because I have my BIOS setup to buzz when temps hit 70 celcius in the BIOS and when amd overdrive hits 70 I hear the BOIS buzzer go off.

I know the 212 evo is capable of cooling this dang cpu, what could be my problem? I dont want to have to run throttling or cool n' quiet in the BIOS. My cooling should be more than enough to handle without enabling thermal control in the BIOS right? What could my problem be? I've tried everything I know of. Could I have a faulty cpu or faulty cpu temp sensor?

Thanks for any input!

pauls3743

Distinguished
Simply put, the cooler is not making contact with the processor.

Lift your cooler.
Check to see if the heat transfer paste is stuck to, and spread across, both the underside of the cooler and the topside of the cpu.
If it is, then check the underside of the cooler for a plastic film. A few coolers ship with plastic films on the heatblock to protect it from damage during shipping.

mtl26637

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
I had thought the same. I checked last night once again by removing and reinstalling cooler with new arctic silver 5 paste. When I removed, both the cpu and cooler had an even coat of paste just like it should. I reinstalled and same results. I even made sure that the bottom of the cooler is flat and is tight against the cpu itself. All seems to be good and tight too. It's got me stumped for sure!

mtl26637

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
When the cpu gets up in the 60-80 range, should I be able to feel hot air blowing out from the fan on the heatsink with the sides of the case removed? The air feels a tad warm but not anywhere close to "hot" air. I'm almost certain the cooler is making good contact with the top side of the cpu. It's mounted firm against the cpu and i'm using arctic silver 5. I've tried spreading an even thin coat over both the cpu and the cooler surfaces when mounting and ive also tried to just put a "pea" size drop of paste on the cpu and install cooler and let the pressure of tightening down the cooler squeeze the paste correctly. Same result still.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
If you haven't tried it allready, try runnning the fans at full speed by disabling automatic fan controls in bios, then do another prime test.

pauls3743

Distinguished
Without overclocking your cpu should not be in the 80 degree range, and the air blowing through the heatsink should be warm to hot.

Does the baseplate of the heatsink feel warm when the computer is running? (That's the bit of the heatsink in contact with the cpu)

mtl26637

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
Yes, I also disabled fan control and set to manual maximum. Didn't seems to help.

Now this is interesting. I did some testing of the baseplate and copper tubes attached to the baseplate. I started prime95 and the baseplate felt warm. For the first 5-10 minutes the cpu temp. stayed around 55-65 degrees with the baseplate feeling warm to the touch. Copper tubes were slightly warm. Air blowing out of heatsink is cool. After about 10 minutes the cpu temp. started climbing from 65 to 75. Baseplate now felt warm/hot but could still keep my finger on it. Copper tubes now felt warm. Air blowing through heatsink felt cool/very slightly warm. Next cpu temp climbs to 75-80+. Baseplate is hot enough I cant leave my fingers touching it. Copper tubes feel pretty warm and air blowing through heatsink feels slightly warm.

Shouldn't I feel very warm/hot air blowing through the heatsink? This is very frusterating. Heatsink fan seems to be blowing good airflow too.

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Yes, that is interesting. Could the copper heatpipes be defective somehow that they're not conducting heat properly? Is it possible for you to borrow a cooler from a friend (preferably the exact same model or atleast something similar) and try how it handles prime? Or maybe install your cooler on a friends computer with similar poweruse?

Thaggernafle

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

Me a few days agao:

"

Thermal paste is covering all the processor and heat sinks. Idle is 32-35c. I use Prime 95 and I cant shut it off quick enough before it gets to 80c (actually less than a minute). I don't understand what is going on. Other specs: Asrock 990FX Extreme9, 550 PSU (XFX Bronze 80), XFX HD Double D 7870, Elite 430 CM case, 6 fans (1x140mm in front intake to HDD and SSD, 5 120mm (side in, back out, Push pull on Hyper, top out x 2)). I am running everything stock. Hyper fans are connected to board, rest on NZXT fan controller all at 100%. Please help this just isn't right! Thermal paste seems to be a good thin layer and is CM paste sent with Hyper. Room temp is 76F / 25c."

I still have not found anything out... have you?

pyr0_m4n

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I'm having the same issue to. Even at stock speeds with the 212 evo, im still hitting 65c or higher sometimes with prime95. Ive seen people get temps as low as 50c with this cooler at stock so why cant i?

Danifilth

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
This might be a late reply but when installing the heatsink use a pea size method not too much. Don't use a credit card since the paste spreads smoothly and the surface is 90% flat from what i saw and no 2 line method either. Upon tightening the heatsink have 1 hand hold the cooler while the other trying to screw it down since its really heavy and likes to move around on its own. Do it on an X pattern i forgot what kids call it this days, for example top right first then bottom left top left bottom right what ever your preference and do it in equal pressure 3 rotations per side if you don't the paste is not going to spread evenly. Upon removal to apply paste from a mistake make sure to clean it with a coffee filter or lint free cloth with rubbing alcohol on the base first then clean the cracks between the heatpipes with a q tip and the processor from the sides then type if using AMD cpu's. I made a mistake on my first attempt since it was wobbling around without holding it and my cpu ide at 28C since it created air pockets then second attempt took me 40 mins to clean completely leaving no traces between the cracks or alcohol and now idles at 19C stock settings on my 1055T at 78F. This might be late but it might be good for people seeking help in the future