What camera should I buy?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 29, 2005 3:53:03 AM

I know there have been lots of these type of post here but every one
seems to come up with a different answer.

I am wanting to purchase a digital camera. My budget is £300 but that
would include all the extras. I have looked at the Canon Ixus 50 but I
think that I would be paying for a compact camera, something I don't
necessarily want.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

More about : camera buy

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:35:51 AM

NHibbert wrote:
> I know there have been lots of these type of post here but every one
> seems to come up with a different answer.
>
> I am wanting to purchase a digital camera. My budget is £300 but that
> would include all the extras. I have looked at the Canon Ixus 50 but I
> think that I would be paying for a compact camera, something I don't
> necessarily want.
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Get a fujifilm, a recent superCCD one. Consider the F10.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 10:24:47 AM

Greetings,

I have found that knowing what I want in a camera is the best thing to
do first. Think about what you plan and what you MIGHT want to do with
it in the future. What are the most important features and what you are
going to do with the images later. Are you a creative person or do you
want a point and shoot camera. These kinds of questions and others are
what I consider.

I then review what is out there and consider the cameras that have what
I want then sort them out by cost and feature, etc. Always take a trip
to the store to see what they have on hand so you can get a hands on
review and get a feel for the cameras you are considering. If you know
the media type you are going to use, i.e. SD card etc. I would bring
one along when you visit these stores or have the chance to review a
camera. You can then take some pictures with it for review later.

Once you have gathered all you can sort it out and make your decision.
AT $300 pounds I would personally look at the DX7590 if you have any
kind of interest in being creative, etc. has builtin flash synch, long
lens, an EVF, which are the things I like about it. Does all I want and
it is not too big. Controls are easy to use as well. Of course I work
at Kodak and so I have used this camera a lot. I find it exceptional.

I wish you good luck! This part of your purchase is the fun part where
you get to look at everything and make your decision, so enjoy! Talk to
you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Related resources
September 29, 2005 11:21:42 AM

"NHibbert" <nicola.hibbert@btinternet.com> wrote in message
I know there have been lots of these type of post here but every one
seems to come up with a different answer.

I am wanting to purchase a digital camera. My budget is £300 but that
would include all the extras. I have looked at the Canon Ixus 50 but I
think that I would be paying for a compact camera, something I don't
necessarily want.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

You'll get a dozen views on this...but here's mine.

My non-SLR is a Kodak DX-6940

Good to hold, its not the most compact, but takes excellent shots, newer
versions are 5Mp and more. Won awards for its bright 2.2 inch LCD which
helps alot in daylight. One of the best things is its 10x time zoom. Good
manual settings if you want to dabble and get some different effects. You
can also get filter convertors as well if you decide to take it further.

Battery life is amazing, I can get over 160 shots using LCD on mine, if you
switch to the EV viewfinder that gives you so much more time.

Last I saw, under £300 - probably the most sturdy feeling and looking
Digicam I have had. And people always comment on how SLR looking it is...

Anyway, best thing is to go and hold a few in the shop and see what you like
from there.

Good luck

Alex
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 12:01:38 PM

NHibbert wrote:

> I know there have been lots of these type of post here but every one
> seems to come up with a different answer.
>
> I am wanting to purchase a digital camera. My budget is £300 but that
> would include all the extras. I have looked at the Canon Ixus 50 but I
> think that I would be paying for a compact camera, something I don't
> necessarily want.
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

can't vouch for them personally as I haven't had one but there's the
canon 520 which has auto and manual focus etc and can be had for
around £200 from Argos, possibly cheaper elsewhere. I've seen pics
taken with the cam using spot focus which looked very good

http://tinyurl.com/aaeko

There's also the fuji finepix 5500 which can be got for around £200
(Has a 10x optical zoom!)
http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/digital-camera...

and if you really hunt around on the web you can find some pretty
heavy cams which have been reduced, such as the Olympus c-770, another
10x zoom

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photography/digital-camera...

I should warn you that these particular superzooms don't have the
anti-shake mechanism, so if you think you need that you may be better
looking at some panasonics.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

"NHibbert" <nicola.hibbert@btinternet.com> wrote in message
I know there have been lots of these type of post here but every one
seems to come up with a different answer.

I am wanting to purchase a digital camera. My budget is £300 but that
would include all the extras. I have looked at the Canon Ixus 50 but I
think that I would be paying for a compact camera, something I don't
necessarily want.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

I have a Konica Minolta Z3 that is easy to use if you don't want to mess
with the setting, but has the full range of settings if you want to be more
creative. It also has a 12 times optical zoom against the normal digital
zooms, this gives it IMHO a better chance of a sharper picture at long
range, couple this with the anti-shake system and I have had some good
success.

My camera has already been overtaken by the Z5 which has a 5 megapixel range
see
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=konicaminoltaz... for
example photos.

Cheers
Steve
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:44:43 PM

NHibbert wrote:
> I know there have been lots of these type of post here but every one
> seems to come up with a different answer.
>
> I am wanting to purchase a digital camera. My budget is £300 but that
> would include all the extras. I have looked at the Canon Ixus 50 but
> I think that I would be paying for a compact camera, something I don't
> necessarily want.
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

It really depends what you want to photograph, but the Panasonic FZ5 which
I have is in that price range, and has a Leica 36 - 432mm f/2.8-3.3 zoom
lens with image stabilisation so that the longer zoom is actually usable.
Excellent images, and very light and compact. May stretch your budget a
little but well worth it!

David
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 2:41:17 PM

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I'll be sure to let you know my
decision.

Nicola
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 5:03:13 PM

>I am wanting to purchase a digital camera. My budget is £300 but that
>would include all the extras. I have looked at the Canon Ixus 50 but I
>think that I would be paying for a compact camera, something I don't
>necessarily want.

First decide what you want.

If you only want 4x6 prints, don't bother with more than 3MP. If you
want larger pictures, invest in more resolution.

Unless you need it, don't get a really tiny camera - you'll pay more
and get less quality.

For me, the most important feature is always quality of the image, so
when I buy a camera, I buy the best lens I can afford. Everything
else is secondary.

-Joel

Free 35mm lens & digital camera reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography
September 29, 2005 5:58:16 PM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
NHibbert wrote:

> can't vouch for them personally as I haven't had one but there's the
> canon 520 which has auto and manual focus etc and can be had for
> around £200 from Argos, possibly cheaper elsewhere. I've seen pics
> taken with the cam using spot focus which looked very good

My sister bought a Canon 520.
It's a great camera. Small yet functional
4MP
has oodles of features
see the review at: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona520/

Marcel
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 11:33:52 PM

Celcius wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> NHibbert wrote:
> >

> > can't vouch for them personally as I haven't had one but there's the
> > canon 520 which has auto and manual focus etc and can be had for
> > around £200 from Argos, possibly cheaper elsewhere. I've seen pics
> > taken with the cam using spot focus which looked very good
> >

> My sister bought a Canon 520.
> It's a great camera. Small yet functional
> 4MP
> has oodles of features
> see the review at: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona520/
>
> Marcel

I've seen a few pics someone posted from their 520 v my Oly 725 of the
same event. My cam may have the bigger zoom but I felt the quality of
his images far outweighed mine.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
April 14, 2006 3:30:00 AM

I recently purchased the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 from beachcamera.com. I used pricegrabber to get the lowest price from a reputable seller. It is lightweight for a camera with 12x optical zoom, has 6 megapixel resolution, antishake, a mode for manual focusing, has a nice macro mode...the list goes on and on. I was considering the Canon S2 IS since it seems like a very popular camera. However, this Panasonic was the same price, yet had more features. Check out cnet.com and read some reviews from pricegrabber.com by people that have actually purchased each camera. Hope that helps... 8)
April 16, 2006 6:18:56 AM

I have a Canon A610 and image quality and ergonomics are excellent.
!