Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 3, 2012 8:40:09 PM

i7 3730k
Kingston Hyperx Genesis 16 gb ddr3 1600 mhz
Kingston Hyperx 3k 240 gb
dz77sl50k motherboard
galaxy nvidia gtx 670
dvd writer

According to GPU-Z,CPU-Z and the bios, The graphics card is running at PCIe3.0 x8 and not at PCIe 3.0 x16 even though the board is compatible, I have no sli or any other cards. Can you please explain to me why this is happening and what I can do to correct it?

More about : gtx 670 running x16

a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 8:53:35 PM

That is not problem so don't be worry about that, in which slot did you mount the card.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 9:00:22 PM

There is definitely NO loss in performance from going to x16 to an x8.
Related resources
August 3, 2012 9:03:45 PM

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/des... , I Mounted it on the blue slot (the only PCI Expressx16 one). Why is the bios saying this? I paid like 500 dollars extra to get this ivy bridge setup as opposed to a sandy bridge, do you know why it is running at this speed? Is PCIe3.0x8 better than PCIe2.0x16? Will changing the motherboard,updating the bios or changing the graphics card make the card run at PCIe3.0x16? Also the bios says the card is running at 2.5 GT/s
a c 535 U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 9:09:52 PM

In GPU-z, click the little "?" (question mark symbol) next to the box that shows your PCIe bandwidth. Run the render test.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 9:14:03 PM

Thats right, ok disable USB3.0 turbo and your card will be at x16.
August 3, 2012 9:15:46 PM

How do you do that?
August 3, 2012 9:16:38 PM

xtreme5 said:
Thats right, ok disable USB3.0 turbo and your card will be at x16.

How do you do it and what are the implications of doing it?
August 3, 2012 9:17:02 PM

17seconds said:
In GPU-z, click the little "?" (question mark symbol) next to the box that shows your PCIe bandwidth. Run the render test.

Already tried that,still the same, you don't need to click that if your link state power management is off
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 9:26:05 PM

Get into the BIOS setting search for USB option then figure out usb 3.0 turbo mode enable and disable options.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 9:29:41 PM

Get into the BIOS setting search for USB option then figure out usb 3.0 turbo mode enable and disable options.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 9:48:30 PM

come on you can find it otherwise you will be always at x8. Could you please take an image of your bios screen I will tell you what do to next.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 10:09:04 PM

claw999 said:
nope can't find it, can only find the place where you enable usb ports, it is not even in the bios glossary, http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/..., why do you say there is no difference between running at x8 and x16?

there's a slight difference in this case and your suppose to be @ x16 and we need to get you there.
do not settle for x8/.

the difference in x8/ and x16/ is more minimal in SLi or CF-X set-ups
in single card mode, you are at a disadvantage in x8/.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 10:15:26 PM

@verbalizer, do you know how to disable usb3 turbo in intel dz77sl50k OP's motherboard.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 10:20:03 PM

@ xtreme5 - I hate Intel boards...
I wonder if it was a software app from the motherboard disk.?
if not then in the BIOS.

gonna do a quick search on exact motherboard...
be back.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 10:23:19 PM

I have a question....
does the enabling of the IGP for like Virtu Lucid have any effect.?
funny, I have two Z68 boards and do not use the technology, I tried it once and didn't like it..
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 10:45:12 PM

Hmm, same here i hate too only Asus and gigabyte are the best mobo manufacturers, what do you mean by "does enabling IGP for like Virtue Lucid any effect" effect how?
August 3, 2012 10:57:40 PM

There may be an option in your BIOS to set your card's speed (x4, x8, x16 etc.).
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 11:18:27 PM

I bet that is happened due to usb3 turbo mode but in OP motherboard there is no option for disabling it, anyway disable whole usb3 controller and see if it work at x16
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 11:27:59 PM

I think I'm on to something....
BIOS UPDATES:
http://ark.intel.com/products/63246/Intel-Desktop-Board...

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21600/eng/SL_0081_Relea...
About This Release:
• Date: Jul 19, 2012
• ME Firmware: 8.0.13.1502
• Integrated Graphics Option ROM: Build 2132 PC 14.34
• SATA RAID Option ROM: v11.0.0.1204
• LAN Option ROM: v1376 PXE 2.1 Build 089
New Fixes/Features:
• Modified Overclocking Assistant setup item.
• Fixed issue where SMBIOS values cannot be overwritten.
• Changed UEFI Boot item default value to disabled.
• Modified USB Boot device function.
• Modified video output priority.
• Updated Intel® ME firmware to v8.0.13.1502.
• Fixed issue where specific time & day setting in BIOS Setup causes the system to hang.
• Fixed issue where Boot menu is lost in Setup.
• Updated BIOS to allow special key characters for password.
• Added IGD Minimum Memory setup item.
• Updated BIOS to create UEFI Boot Options if hard drive already has a UEFI operating system installed
• Fixed issue where USB drives are not removed from boot order list when USB BOOT is disabled.
• Fixed issue with USB keyboard special characters.
• Updated processor support.
• Fixed Consumer Infrared WHQL issue.
• Added default boot priority for Advanced boot order (CD; Removable; HDD; PXE).
• Fixed issue where yellow bang appears in Device Manager when UEFI boot is enabled.
• Improved hot key detection during POST.
• Fixed issue where USB 3.0 device is lost when waking from S3.
• Fixed issue where USB 2.0 keyboard or mouse plugged into a USB 3.0 port cannot wake the system from S3.
• Added Keyboard Ready Beep setup item.
• Modified Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers default value.
• Updated video priority function.
• Updated PS2 function.
• Fixed issue where fan does not work correctly after updating BIOS.
• Updated Memory DQ Ref Voltage setting to be hidden if DIMM Reference Voltage Training is not set to Manual.
• Fixed issue where audio fails in DOS.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 11:28:37 PM

might not be the answer but it seems to have a few other BIOS updates as well.
August 4, 2012 7:06:22 AM

Hmm alright, xtreme5, there isnt a way to disable the whole usb 3 controller but , I can disable each port one by one, will that work? Verbalizer I will try your option in a while, thanks
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 7:49:14 AM

why not usb3 controller is available in BIOS glossary see the link above you have provided it to me PDF.
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 9:28:41 AM

good-luck.
keep us updated and if not work then we'll try something else..
August 4, 2012 10:16:23 AM

alright I will be trying the bios update thing out next week.Also xtreme5, you were right at the start, the gtx 670 memory bandwidth is 192.2 GB/s, while the PCIe3.0 x8 is 476.8 GB/s (8 GT/s per lane * 8 lanes *7.45) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigatransfer, so it seems i won't be losing anything other than a paper specification. By the way according to the nvidia control panel, my IRQ is 16 and my Bus speed is PCIe x16 Gen 3, what does that mean?
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 10:30:35 AM

that means your on x16/....
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 10:53:21 AM

look like you did it, thats mean your card is running at x16.
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 10:53:57 AM

but how or what.?
August 4, 2012 10:53:55 PM

umm actually i didnt do anything, I guess CPU-z and GPU-z and the bios were giving the wrong answer.
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2012 10:58:32 PM

claw999 said:
umm actually i didnt do anything, I guess CPU-z and GPU-z and the bios were giving the wrong answer.

what do they say now.?
August 5, 2012 10:36:40 AM

Same thing they said before, PCIe3.0x8. Actually I had not looked at the nvidia control panel before
August 6, 2012 5:59:00 PM

Oh wait, now its sorted, I just installed and uninstalled the intel ITK, then I played CODMW3 on extra graphics , and the bios, cpu-z and gpu-z are showing x16, thanks for the help
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 6:02:20 PM

excellent mate..
good gaming.
August 6, 2012 6:02:32 PM

Best answer selected by claw999.
December 1, 2012 2:15:28 AM

I had a similar issue with my 560ti on an MSI 890fxa. I noticed originally that my Hypertransport clock was running at 2400 and I remembered reading about the HT should stay around 2000 (AMD) and so I go to lower it and I just got that card so I'm running all the new games and I"m thinking to myself...this isn't much faster than the GTX 275 that I just got rid of...so I'm overclocking the hell out of it and not seeing much of anything. About 2 months later, I pull up GPU-Z and I notice where it says bus interface PCI-E 2.0 x 16 @ 2 1.0...at first I didnt really notice because I thought it meant that I'm that I"m using the 2 rev of PCI-E 16...but after looking at it for about 5 seconds my heart fell through my ass. I had been running that card for the last 2 months on a full PCI-E lane at 2x speed. Now I was seeing an improvement over the GTX 275 but not what I was expecting. I was kind of pissed that MSI would just downclock my PCI-E bus because I downclocked the HT bus. My solution was to go to BIOS and revert back to safe settings then save it and reboot. Then when my PCI-E showed @16 2.0 I went back to overclocking WITHOUT touching that HT bus speed. It was a major lesson I learned that day, so when I got my 670 the first thing I did was check that friggin PCI-E bus. I had never heard of that happening before and I wondered how many people were out there overclocking their cards and running on a limited bus that got set there by the system for fiddling with a small item in BIOS. Pisses me off to tell you the truth.
December 1, 2012 6:18:03 PM

sylas said:
I had a similar issue with my 560ti on an MSI 890fxa. I noticed originally that my Hypertransport clock was running at 2400 and I remembered reading about the HT should stay around 2000 (AMD) and so I go to lower it and I just got that card so I'm running all the new games and I"m thinking to myself...this isn't much faster than the GTX 275 that I just got rid of...so I'm overclocking the hell out of it and not seeing much of anything. About 2 months later, I pull up GPU-Z and I notice where it says bus interface PCI-E 2.0 x 16 @ 2 1.0...at first I didnt really notice because I thought it meant that I'm that I"m using the 2 rev of PCI-E 16...but after looking at it for about 5 seconds my heart fell through my ass. I had been running that card for the last 2 months on a full PCI-E lane at 2x speed. Now I was seeing an improvement over the GTX 275 but not what I was expecting. I was kind of pissed that MSI would just downclock my PCI-E bus because I downclocked the HT bus. My solution was to go to BIOS and revert back to safe settings then save it and reboot. Then when my PCI-E showed @16 2.0 I went back to overclocking WITHOUT touching that HT bus speed. It was a major lesson I learned that day, so when I got my 670 the first thing I did was check that friggin PCI-E bus. I had never heard of that happening before and I wondered how many people were out there overclocking their cards and running on a limited bus that got set there by the system for fiddling with a small item in BIOS. Pisses me off to tell you the truth.

I only remember fiddling with my bios to enable xmp overclocking for the RAM, other than that nothing, thanks for you input man.
!