Clearance issues cpu cooler and gpu. HELP I'm desperate.

LonelyMan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hello. I just purchased my new rig but I have compatibility issues. I have the Maximus V Formula with the Phanteks dual tower cpu cooler and the gtx 680 lightning. I was sure that I would have enough clearance from my gpu to my cooler, but apparently not even an e-atx mobo is big enough for this cooler. So what do I do? Do I take off the GPU reactor from the gtx 680 lightning or do I RMA the cooler and tell them clearance issues? I want to overclock the lightning using the LN2 bios, so I have no idea if I need it or not.

LonelyMan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Yes I know it will work on the x8 lane, but I plan to keep this computer for 5-6 years and the only thing I will replace is the gpu in a couple of years. So, by that time, I guess the newer GPUs will take full advantage of the pcie 3.0 x16 lane. So, with that in mind, I will RMA this cooler and get it's smaller brother, the PH-TC14CS_RD, or the Cooler master hyper 212. Until my replacement comes, I will take off this huge brick and put in the stock intel cooler and not overclock. Can i take off the thermal paste with rubbing alcohol compound 70%?