Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Clearance issues cpu cooler and gpu. HELP I'm desperate.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 3, 2012 8:56:25 PM

Hello. I just purchased my new rig but I have compatibility issues. I have the Maximus V Formula with the Phanteks dual tower cpu cooler and the gtx 680 lightning. I was sure that I would have enough clearance from my gpu to my cooler, but apparently not even an e-atx mobo is big enough for this cooler. So what do I do? Do I take off the GPU reactor from the gtx 680 lightning or do I RMA the cooler and tell them clearance issues? I want to overclock the lightning using the LN2 bios, so I have no idea if I need it or not.

Best solution

a c 177 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 3, 2012 9:11:37 PM

Return the CPU cooler and get something...smaller.
August 3, 2012 9:13:46 PM

coozie7 said:
Return the CPU cooler and get something...smaller.

What do you recommend? Is the Phanteks PH-TC14CS ok?
m
l
Related resources
August 3, 2012 9:20:27 PM

loops said:
is it mounted like these?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1106307/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-n...

Can you use another lane for your GPU?

Yes it's mounted horizontally meaning its exhausting out the back, not the top. And I only have 1 pci 3.0 x16 lane which is the top one. there is another pci 3.0, but it's x8
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 9:38:32 PM

I'd rather get a smaller CPU cooler then. There are plenty to pick from and you don't need all that much of an OC these days. Your gpu card will work fine in the x8 lane btw.
m
l
August 3, 2012 9:53:16 PM

loops said:
I'd rather get a smaller CPU cooler then. There are plenty to pick from and you don't need all that much of an OC these days. Your gpu card will work fine in the x8 lane btw.

Yes I know it will work on the x8 lane, but I plan to keep this computer for 5-6 years and the only thing I will replace is the gpu in a couple of years. So, by that time, I guess the newer GPUs will take full advantage of the pcie 3.0 x16 lane. So, with that in mind, I will RMA this cooler and get it's smaller brother, the PH-TC14CS_RD, or the Cooler master hyper 212. Until my replacement comes, I will take off this huge brick and put in the stock intel cooler and not overclock. Can i take off the thermal paste with rubbing alcohol compound 70%?
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2012 11:39:48 AM

^ Some here do, I use pure alcohol because it leaves no residue.
m
l
August 5, 2012 2:27:38 AM

Best answer selected by LonelyMan.
m
l
!