What CPU should I get for a gaming server?

Hi,

I want to start building a server computer for the gaming community that I will be using for running gaming servers for games like Team Fortress 2 or Counter-strike (possibly some other games) that has about 25 players on max. I will also be running a Teamspeak 3 server on it which will be running 24/7.

Thing is, I'm on a very low budget. I want to get the CPU, RAM and Motherboard at £250 or lower. I already have a case, hard drive(s) and a PSU which is good.

When it comes to specs for gaming, I know what to get, but seeing as this PC will be used as a server I don't really know what to get.

I've been looking at the Xeon E3-1230 V2. But is it worth it and will it really do the job?

I've also been looking at some AMD processors, such as AMD A10-5800K.

Can anyone tell me what I should get?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
RT
3 answers Last reply
More about what gaming server
  1. When it comes to servers handling multiple threads is the name of the game. The best most cost effective cpu would have to be the FX-8350 with its 8 cores, 4Ghz clock and sub $200 price point i believe that makes it the perfect choice over Xeons with half the cores costing twice as much. Pair this CPU with 16-32GB of ram, some fast HDD's and you will have a solid game server.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284
  2. for server I would go with the cheapest amd 8 core
  3. wow. Very quick response! Thanks! XD

In that case, I think the AMD would be a good idea. Which is great, since it is a lot cheaper.

Thanks again for your help!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Servers Product