Sign in with
Your question

What CPU should I get for a gaming server?

Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2013 3:44:37 PM

Hi,

I want to start building a server computer for the gaming community that I will be using for running gaming servers for games like Team Fortress 2 or Counter-strike (possibly some other games) that has about 25 players on max. I will also be running a Teamspeak 3 server on it which will be running 24/7.

Thing is, I'm on a very low budget. I want to get the CPU, RAM and Motherboard at £250 or lower. I already have a case, hard drive(s) and a PSU which is good.

When it comes to specs for gaming, I know what to get, but seeing as this PC will be used as a server I don't really know what to get.

I've been looking at the Xeon E3-1230 V2. But is it worth it and will it really do the job?

I've also been looking at some AMD processors, such as AMD A10-5800K.

Can anyone tell me what I should get?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
RT

More about : cpu gaming server

a c 79 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
February 6, 2013 3:55:27 PM

When it comes to servers handling multiple threads is the name of the game. The best most cost effective cpu would have to be the FX-8350 with its 8 cores, 4Ghz clock and sub $200 price point i believe that makes it the perfect choice over Xeons with half the cores costing twice as much. Pair this CPU with 16-32GB of ram, some fast HDD's and you will have a solid game server.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2013 3:55:42 PM

for server I would go with the cheapest amd 8 core
February 6, 2013 4:07:22 PM

wow. Very quick response! Thanks! XD

In that case, I think the AMD would be a good idea. Which is great, since it is a lot cheaper.

Thanks again for your help!
!