Sign in with
Your question

I7 shows 128 degrees C and running fine?!?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2013 4:00:56 PM

I have a new system build as follows:

I7-3820
Zalman CNPS11X Extreme Cooler
Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard
8GB G-skill Sniper memory

No overclock. Bios updated to latest. Running Win7 x64. Both speedfan and the asus bios states cpu is at ~128 degrees C! I've taken the fan out and reapplied a couple times now (with both the zalman supplied paste and arctic cooler) and same thing happens. Cooler seems to be running fine (at 1500-2000 rpm consistently). The kicker is that the computer seems to run fine and the heatsink is not hot to the touch.

Anyone have any suggestions on the problem? I was thinking a bad sensor on the motherboard but am open any suggestions.

More about : shows 128 degrees running fine

a c 190 à CPUs
February 6, 2013 4:29:33 PM

Wow since the processor has the Thermtrip which would shut it down if it reached 125°C. I havent heard of any issues with this processor even running close to hot with the HSF (heatsink/fan) seated well. So try a program like HWMonitor and see if you are getting the same type of readings. Other than that I would check with Asus see if they have some advise.
m
l
February 6, 2013 4:49:41 PM

Thanks for the response. This is one of the reasons why I think it's the board. I don't think the processor is actually hitting those temps. I can use the computer while it shows this.

I can try HWMonitor and see, but if speedfan and the monitoring system in the Asus bios both state this high temp, I'm thinking it's more of a hardware issue.

To note, sometimes the computer will stop at initial start-up and then say that the CPU is running at too hot a temp and not allow me to continue.

Asus' response was to send the board in. I did do that once already, and almost immediately, they sent me the exact same board back (same serial) and no notes on anything being done. Reinstalled and same issue. Recontacted them and they just want to set up another RMA on the board.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2013 8:06:37 PM

Did you remember to remove the protective plastic film from the heatsink?
m
l
February 6, 2013 8:23:12 PM

Yep, it's off.
m
l
February 8, 2013 3:49:31 PM

Anyone?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2013 4:43:07 PM

128 is the max value of an 8-bit signed integer value, which is coincidentally the range of the Intel temperature sensors. So I'm guessing a busted temperature sensor.
m
l
!