MixmasterSparky

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Now, I'm not exactly complaining about my current graphics- but i was wondering if it was possible to upgrade my current laptop graphics with it being a dedicated card. I remember a few years ago I researched the same thing, and learned of MXM cards.

So really I have two questions, what kind of integrated PCI-E x16 slot do I have, and am I able to upgrade my card at all? (Short answer would be yes/no, and long answer would be yes with whatever problems, such as 'you may need a bios update', etc etc)

I currently have an HP dv6-6188ca

Specs

CPU: AMD A8-3510MX Quad-Core w/ AMD Radeon HD6620G

Dedicated GPU: AMD Radeon HD6750M 1GB GDDR5

===Although I don't think you need the extra specs, I'll put them out there anyways===

RAM: 8GB DDR3

On another note, I am not worried about overheating, as under full load with an overclocked CPU (the A8-MX is surprisingly overclockable on this laptop) and the dual-GPU stress testing... usually taps out at 58C. Cooling is not a problem.

Solution
Hello. You will not be able to upgrade the graphics card inside your laptop, however, there's a thing that's called ViDock that enabled you to connect a discrete desktop graphics card to your laptop and have it output video to another monitor.
Hello. You will not be able to upgrade the graphics card inside your laptop, however, there's a thing that's called ViDock that enabled you to connect a discrete desktop graphics card to your laptop and have it output video to another monitor.

Solution

MixmasterSparky

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

That's a bit saddening, researching MXM kind of got my hopes up. Ah, oh well. I'm still content with my laptop either way- I just felt like it'd be project material is all. Either way, thanks