jakegill619

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
ok so im not good with computers at all. and i just got a new video card its the evga gtx 550 ti. and i have everything plugged in BESIDES the 6 pin that has to be plugged in. now i dont have ANYTHING to plug into that besides an adapter that they gave with it. the adapter has two big white plug ins and one black one. i have no idea where the two white ones plug into, please help me. please give a detailed response to

drums101

Distinguished
so the cable that they gave you im guessing is an adapter that converts two molex power connectors to a 6 pin pcie connector....the black end that has 6 pins gets plugged into your graphics card.....the other two white ends that are flat looking with 4 pins each get plugged into 2 available molex connectors in your system....there should be some wires coming out of your power supply in your computer that has the male version of these plugs on it....if there are none free you are gonna have to get an adapter to convert one of those plugs into two so you can plug your card in.....can you tell me how many watts and the maker of your power supply? Is is a custom build or a pre built one like dell? if its from a vendor give me the make and model of the pc

Okay. First of all you should not use the adapter. I would not, it might fry the card if the power supply is too weak.

Secondly, the 6-pin connector must come from the power supply. It's a small box you plug to electricity. It has bunch of cables coming out of it. It looks like this:

Power-Supply-Unit.jpg

If the power supply does not have the connector, I'm afraid you're going to have to buy a more powerful one. Trying to run a card from not powerful enough power supply may damage your computer.