Driver(?) problems with crossfire 7970s

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Hey people I just got a second 7970 and installed it today and I have been having some really weird problems. I am on 12.7 beta all crossfire cables are hooked up correctly and all that. When I turn on my pc it works fine I can adjust manual fan speed and overclock thru catalyst but when I open GPU-Z it takes several minutes to open and it extremely laggy. The second card has really weird readouts like it says 32-bit memory, only has half the readouts in sensors and none of them work at all. RPM goes between 660 and -- when the fan is actually spinning just normal speed I can see it. the voltages go all over the place as well as frequencies in a very unnatural laggy way. then i close gpu z and go to catalyst and i have no control over the second card and all the sensors in cataylst read 0. also if i boot and dont open gpu z at all then play a game and come back to catalyst i will have lost control and readouts again. it also freezes the whole pc occasionally making me have to reboot

both cards are HIS IceQ X2 same exact cards I have switching them around and running them both single so I know they both work fine. no matter what the configuration of two cards the same errors happen as i wrote above. I also tried switching between the second bios chip and the first on both cards which did not make any difference.

i thought i would also mention that in game it works perfectly fine, crossfire works fans work everything works i get about 100-110 fps in bf3 avg

PSU- ABS Majesty 1100 Watt Gold Certified
MoBo- ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU- Intel Core i7 3770
RAM- 16gb 1600MHz G.SKILL Ripjaws
OS- Windows 7 64

thanks for any advice i am a bit stumped on this one

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
it is not like its false readings though, i have seen false readings before its like completely laggy it takes about 10 seconds to load the sensors when i switch cards and the reading all go between 0 or -- and random numbers just huge triangles
usually followed by crashing or flashing black screens

btw it also ULPS active next to crossfire enabled (2 gpus) eventhough i tried disabling it to fix this

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

tried each individually both work fine but problem is actually a bit different than i thought. everything i listed at first is still happening but ONLY when crossfire is enabled .

when i enable it the second card (no matter which physical card) shuts off completely and completely glitches out gpu z and ccc, neither fan spins at all (cards have two fans each) and when i disable crossfire it is perfectly normal, full control full readouts all fans spinning normally both cards working normally

EDIT: second card sits at 500/1375 clock speeds (mid) with cf disabled while first is at 300/150 (low)

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Wait I just figured it out. The second card was going into Ultra Low Power Savings and I had to disable that in registries. I thought I had disabled it already but it turned out I had only disabled it on an old registry entry for an old card. I feel like an idiot :)

Thanks any way though guys

Status
Not open for further replies.