I am planning on making a custom build desktop. I want to have great sound quality for gaming, listening to music and movies.
But before I say which four sound cards I have been looking at. I am not a audiophile, in fact I am hearing impaired. Haha, but I have 80% of my hearing and wear hearing aids which gives me 10% extra of my hearing. I can hear 80% of what people are saying. Anyway, as far of what headphones and speakers I will be using for my computer is the following:
- A cheap $25 headphones with high bass. I will be getting a Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones someday in the future.
- Logitech Z506 75 watts RMS 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers. (45 Hz-20kHz w/ Dedicated bass control).
- My motherboard I am getting is: Asus Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s Intel Motherboard.
Hope that is enough information to help you to help decide which of the four sound card below is best for me and just to impress my friends as well:
Here are the sound cards:
- Asus XONAR_DG Xonar DG Sound Card ($28)
- Asus Xonar DGX Gaming Audio Card ($40)
- Asus Xonar DX Sound Card ($80)
- Creative Sound Blaster Z 70SD1500000000 Sound Card ($120)
I would think most motherboards with onboard 5.1 or 7.1 sound would work for you.
I hate the sound card for my iMac right now (Intel High Definition Audio). It creates a lot of noise and I can never hear clearly at all times. I will be using the logitech 5.1 speakers most of the time. I only use my headphones when I don't want others to hear what I am listening to or need to be really focused on my work/gaming.
Yeah, I figure out the sound card on the high end motherboard. They are pretty impressive and have very high quality sound. I guess sound cards are just for people who have gigantic 7.1 speakers or in the music/audio industry (audiophile).