modem

my modem only send and receives at 28.8 when it is a 56k what can I do to
make it faster

mike
4 answers Last reply
More about modem

    "MIKE ST MARTIN" <majc93422@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > my modem only send and receives at 28.8 when it is a 56k what can I do to
    > make it faster
    >

    > mike

    It depends on so much more than your modem.

    Line condition, distance from the nearest telco switch, whether you have the
    correct drivers installed, and what type of compression/error correction is
    being used.

    FWIW, most dial up connections get *significantly* lower than 56k. The FCC
    has set the max on dial up at 53k (not 56), and most connections connect in
    the 40k to 48k range.

    Bobby

    MIKE ST MARTIN wrote:

    > my modem only send and receives at 28.8 when it is a 56k what can I
    > do to make it faster

    Very possibly there's nothing you can do.

    The speed of your connection is limited by three things:

    1. The speed of your modem

    2. The FCC limit of 53K (at least in the US; I'm not sure about the rest of
    the world)

    3. The local phone lines in your neighborhood and in your home.

    By all means, contact your phone company and see if they help you, but be
    prepared for the possibility that restriction number 3 above won't allow
    connections above 28.8.

    When I had dial-up, I never got connections above 28.8, and rarely above
    26.4, despite all my efforts.

    Your only solution may be to go to some kind of broadband connection: DSL,
    cable, etc.

    --
    Ken Blake
    Please Reply to the Newsgroup

    "MIKE ST MARTIN" <majc93422@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > my modem only send and receives at 28.8 when it is a 56k what can I do to
    > make it faster
    >

    > mike

    Give us more info

    "Paul" <wf1000xg@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "MIKE ST MARTIN" <majc93422@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> my modem only send and receives at 28.8 when it is a 56k what can I do to
    >> make it faster
    >>

    >> mike
    >>

    > Give us more info

    I use dial up service and it tells me my speed is 28.8kbps but I have a 56k
    modem I was hopeing that I would beable to get my modem speed up to 56k but
    don't know how to get it faster I have my speed set to highest settin from
    control setting.

Configuration Modem Microsoft Customization Windows XP