  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
August 26, 2005 10:12:02 PM

my modem only send and receives at 28.8 when it is a 56k what can I do to
make it faster

mike

More about : modem

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 10:12:03 PM

"MIKE ST MARTIN" <majc93422@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> my modem only send and receives at 28.8 when it is a 56k what can I do to
> make it faster
>

> mike

It depends on so much more than your modem.

Line condition, distance from the nearest telco switch, whether you have the
correct drivers installed, and what type of compression/error correction is
being used.

FWIW, most dial up connections get *significantly* lower than 56k. The FCC
has set the max on dial up at 53k (not 56), and most connections connect in
the 40k to 48k range.

Bobby
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:42:01 AM

MIKE ST MARTIN wrote:

> my modem only send and receives at 28.8 when it is a 56k what can I
> do to make it faster

Very possibly there's nothing you can do.

The speed of your connection is limited by three things:

1. The speed of your modem

2. The FCC limit of 53K (at least in the US; I'm not sure about the rest of
the world)

3. The local phone lines in your neighborhood and in your home.

By all means, contact your phone company and see if they help you, but be
prepared for the possibility that restriction number 3 above won't allow
connections above 28.8.

When I had dial-up, I never got connections above 28.8, and rarely above
26.4, despite all my efforts.

Your only solution may be to go to some kind of broadband connection: DSL,
cable, etc.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

"MIKE ST MARTIN" <majc93422@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> my modem only send and receives at 28.8 when it is a 56k what can I do to
> make it faster
>

> mike

Give us more info
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 3:00:45 PM

"Paul" <wf1000xg@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "MIKE ST MARTIN" <majc93422@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> my modem only send and receives at 28.8 when it is a 56k what can I do to
>> make it faster
>>

>> mike
>>

> Give us more info

I use dial up service and it tells me my speed is 28.8kbps but I have a 56k
modem I was hopeing that I would beable to get my modem speed up to 56k but
don't know how to get it faster I have my speed set to highest settin from
control setting.