hair color question

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 29, 2005 12:34:00 PM

Hi,

I do more landscape photography than anything; however, this Sunday I am
donating my time and talents to photograph women who have had their hair
done at a local salon where all proceeds will benefit a charity.

I feel like this is a stupid question, but I am serious - using my D70
digital camera, what do you think is necessary in order to get a proper
color rendition on each woman's hair color?

I think that will matter to them immensely and I want to do as good a job
as possible since they will be donating to the charity for these photos.

Thanks for your help.
Hiker

More about : hair color question

September 29, 2005 3:02:19 PM

HIKER4LIFE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do more landscape photography than anything; however, this Sunday I am
> donating my time and talents to photograph women who have had their hair
> done at a local salon where all proceeds will benefit a charity.
>
> I feel like this is a stupid question, but I am serious - using my D70
> digital camera, what do you think is necessary in order to get a proper
> color rendition on each woman's hair color?
>
> I think that will matter to them immensely and I want to do as good a job
> as possible since they will be donating to the charity for these photos.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Hiker

Set the white balance properly for the lighting. Avoid strong colors in the background.
And do some test shots in advance to make sure it is all OK.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 7:11:05 PM

HIKER4LIFE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do more landscape photography than anything; however, this Sunday I am
> donating my time and talents to photograph women who have had their hair
> done at a local salon where all proceeds will benefit a charity.
>
> I feel like this is a stupid question, but I am serious - using my D70
> digital camera, what do you think is necessary in order to get a proper
> color rendition on each woman's hair color?
>
> I think that will matter to them immensely and I want to do as good a job
> as possible since they will be donating to the charity for these photos.

sounds like fun.

get something in the photograph which is white / neutral,
like a background. then you can correct any color error.

> Thanks for your help.
> Hiker

September 29, 2005 11:06:00 PM

As colour accuracy is a priority, you might want to do a manual white
balance calibration on your camera before starting and make sure that the
lighting will not alter during the shoot. If it does, make frequent
recalibrations using a neutral grey or white card. Also, shoot in RAW (NEF)
as well as JPEG - if the white balance needs fine tuning, this is best done
from RAW.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com
Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

"HIKER4LIFE" <HIKER4@CHARTER.NET> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I do more landscape photography than anything; however, this Sunday I am
> donating my time and talents to photograph women who have had their hair
> done at a local salon where all proceeds will benefit a charity.
>
> I feel like this is a stupid question, but I am serious - using my D70
> digital camera, what do you think is necessary in order to get a proper
> color rendition on each woman's hair color?
>
> I think that will matter to them immensely and I want to do as good a job
> as possible since they will be donating to the charity for these photos.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Hiker

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 11:09:10 PM

I can see where you are coming from, but in a place like a hair salon, the
lighting will be all over the place in terms of different colour
temperatures and something white in the backghround my not be the same white
where the subject is. It's safer to do a calibration, holding your neutral
white or grey card as close to the model as possible, so it will reflect the
same light the will be illuminating her and her hair.

"bob crownfield" <crownfield@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:D uT_e.17014$L15.16565@trndny01...
> HIKER4LIFE wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do more landscape photography than anything; however, this Sunday I am
>> donating my time and talents to photograph women who have had their hair
>> done at a local salon where all proceeds will benefit a charity.
>>
>> I feel like this is a stupid question, but I am serious - using my D70
>> digital camera, what do you think is necessary in order to get a proper
>> color rendition on each woman's hair color?
>>
>> I think that will matter to them immensely and I want to do as good a
>> job
>> as possible since they will be donating to the charity for these photos.
>
> sounds like fun.
>
> get something in the photograph which is white / neutral,
> like a background. then you can correct any color error.
>

>> Thanks for your help.
>> Hiker

Anonymous
September 30, 2005 12:06:54 AM

> I can see where you are coming from, but in a place like a hair salon, the
> lighting will be all over the place in terms of different colour
> temperatures and something white in the backghround my not be the same
white
> where the subject is. It's safer to do a calibration, holding your neutral
> white or grey card as close to the model as possible, so it will reflect
the
> same light the will be illuminating her and her hair.

Or include a white card in the photo so you can adjust the white balance in
the RAW converter.

--
Mark

Photos, Ideas & Opinions
http://www.marklauter.com
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 1:34:39 AM

Yep, take one shot with the card and then one without and optimise in RAW
using the shot with the card and apply your settings to the one without.
Makes a lot of sense.

!