Sign in with
Your question

Comments on this system

Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2012 5:04:29 PM

Well Hello everyone,

I want to build a new PC after of almost 8 years stuck with laptops. After the research i have done I have came to this build. Please give me your opinion about and if you know any better alternatives at the same price(or almost the same).

This is intended to be an all around pc with more in mind playing games with ease

So here we go:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 -v PRO

CPU: Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge 3770K

RAM: PATRIOT PC Viper 3 4x 4gb modules @ 2133 Mhz

GPU: VTX3D Radeon 7970 3gb X edition

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

SSD: agility 3 260Gbs

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus

Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS

and this at the price of 1220 GBP (delivery Incl)

please give your opinions!

Thank you :sol: 

More about : comments system

September 23, 2012 5:14:01 PM

Forgot to mention the PSU: OCZ ZS Series 750 Watt
September 23, 2012 8:21:19 PM

Welcome! Will this be your first build?

To really help, I need to know:

1) what your budget is
2) what games you want to be able to play at what settings
3) whether you need a copy of Windows or keyboard/mouse, or what other parts you already have, if any.

Let me know and I'll give tailored suggestions based on that. :) 
Related resources
September 24, 2012 11:15:47 AM

Illumina said:
Welcome! Will this be your first build?

To really help, I need to know:

1) what your budget is
2) what games you want to be able to play at what settings
3) whether you need a copy of Windows or keyboard/mouse, or what other parts you already have, if any.

Let me know and I'll give tailored suggestions based on that. :) 

Well my last build was 10 years ago so you can say that yes thats my first one :lol:  .

My budget is max at 1350 gbp

I want to get the best performance for my budget I understand that for some games I will be able to play at max some others at high (I dont have specific games that I am building my rig for). My resolution will be 1080p so i dont care about multiple screens and stuff. I also dont have a need of windows and i have all the peripherals needed (keyboard mouse etc).

Cheers!
September 24, 2012 11:24:56 AM

You dont need an i7. The i5 3570K will give you all you need.

8Gbs of RAM is enough for most people, let alone 16GBs. (Although, if your editing alot, dont mind my comments on the 16Gbs and CPU.) Ivy Bridge also doesnt support 2133MHz RAM from the get go. You will have to OC the RAM in the BIOS. It will be set to a lower frequency and you will also have higher timings because of this. 1600MHz is what you should get.

Not familiar on that GPU brand. Make sure to read reviews on it.

A Vertex 4 is a much better SSD. Agility 3 is old and most of the time, unreliable.

Power Supply? Where are you? :o 
Get the Corsair TX750 or HX750, if you are going to Xfire that 7970. Otherwise, 600W is fine.

Edit: Saw the 2nd post. :lol:  Still go with corsair.
September 24, 2012 12:04:43 PM

Nw333 said:
You dont need an i7. The i5 3570K will give you all you need.

8Gbs of RAM is enough for most people, let alone 16GBs. (Although, if your editing alot, dont mind my comments on the 16Gbs and CPU.) Ivy Bridge also doesnt support 2133MHz RAM from the get go. You will have to OC the RAM in the BIOS. It will be set to a lower frequency and you will also have higher timings because of this. 1600MHz is what you should get.

Not familiar on that GPU brand. Make sure to read reviews on it.

A Vertex 4 is a much better SSD. Agility 3 is old and most of the time, unreliable.

Power Supply? Where are you? :o 
Get the Corsair TX750 or HX750, if you are going to Xfire that 7970. Otherwise, 600W is fine.

Edit: Saw the 2nd post. :lol:  Still go with corsair.

Hey there! thank you for your comment!

actually i have to do some editing and the reason i got 16gb its because of an offer. So in order to use that frequency i will have to overclock them? Can you elaborate a bit please ?

cheers!
September 24, 2012 12:10:34 PM

Also read some reviews on that gpu VTX3D is a subsidiary company of PowerColor and i've seen it has really good performance and temps. The corsair seems nice even though is 30 pounds more than the other one and the Vertex 4 40 pounds more.

For some reason i cant edit :??: 
September 24, 2012 12:22:31 PM

Well, if you arent doing PROFESSIONAL/A LOT of editing, still stay with my suggestions.

For the RAM; Intel does not officially support RAM speeds above 1333 for Sandy and 1600 for Ivy. If you buy RAM factory overclocked to 2133MHz, the CPU will set it to a lower speed and you will have higher timings, which will result in slower RAM (mostly because of the timings.) For you to have the normal RAM speeds that you bought, you will have to manually go into the BIOS and set the RAM speeds and timings there. (Which means you are basically overclockingnit again.) Forgot to mention, you wont see any difference between 1600MHz and 2133MHz.
September 24, 2012 1:26:42 PM

Nw333 said:
Well, if you arent doing PROFESSIONAL/A LOT of editing, still stay with my suggestions.

For the RAM; Intel does not officially support RAM speeds above 1333 for Sandy and 1600 for Ivy. If you buy RAM factory overclocked to 2133MHz, the CPU will set it to a lower speed and you will have higher timings, which will result in slower RAM (mostly because of the timings.) For you to have the normal RAM speeds that you bought, you will have to manually go into the BIOS and set the RAM speeds and timings there. (Which means you are basically overclockingnit again.) Forgot to mention, you wont see any difference between 1600MHz and 2133MHz.

Thank you for the insight! Really appreciated!
!