Sign in with
Your question

Help Choosing Parts

Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2012 5:39:49 PM

Hi again,

I'm currently making a computer for a friend for business and work reasons. (To browse the internet, appraising programs, and some picture and video editing for school/club reasons.)

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ CompUSA)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.70 @ Amazon)
Total: $693.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-23 13:34 EDT-0400)

These are the parts I have chosen so far but after reading many reviews I have major concerns for the SSD and HD I've picked.
Are there any more reliable ones out there? Every review I come across seems to say that they die really fast and I don't want that to happen.

Also, is there any way to make this cheaper, but while still having reliable parts that will last? I'm ordering from NewEgg and the total comes up to $727. I don't know if there are any promo codes I'm missing out on.

Thank you for any and all hep that is given.

More about : choosing parts

September 28, 2012 2:43:32 PM

Certainly would think about Samsung 830, or Crucial M4, or OCZ Vertex 4 for SSD. There have been one or two reliability issues regarding Seagate. Western Digital Caviar Blue is a possible alternative, as you have SSD. Caviar Black would be good, with decent warranty, but bit pricier. I don't see any easy way to save, apart from hunting down promos. Not what you want to hear, but may be worth considering 430/450w, for power supply, to give more scope, for expansion.
September 28, 2012 3:09:44 PM

urbanemp said:
Hi again,

I'm currently making a computer for a friend for business and work reasons. (To browse the internet, appraising programs, and some picture and video editing for school/club reasons.)

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Intel 330 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill R101-P-BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ CompUSA)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.70 @ Amazon)
Total: $693.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-23 13:34 EDT-0400)

These are the parts I have chosen so far but after reading many reviews I have major concerns for the SSD and HD I've picked.
Are there any more reliable ones out there? Every review I come across seems to say that they die really fast and I don't want that to happen.

Also, is there any way to make this cheaper, but while still having reliable parts that will last? I'm ordering from NewEgg and the total comes up to $727. I don't know if there are any promo codes I'm missing out on.

Thank you for any and all hep that is given.

I'll review each component.

CPU is the best in that price range, though I'd spend a bit more and bump up to an i5.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Also, if you can, upgrade to 2 TB. It'll help in the future. Crucial and Samsung are by far the most reliable SSD makers, and reliability is the most important thing in a SSD. Here:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Do NOT, in ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, go with the intel. Seriously; the only thing you should get from intel is a processor. That's it.

I had a great article about SSD lifespans but I can't find it... To sum up:
(I put a nerdy article about the difference between the two at the bottom. Reader beware!), both have at least 3 years before they die, but they can last longer or shorter depending on how much you use them and how good the build quality is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for just $10 more? It's much nicer looking, and a bit more practical for future upgrades. And there are 115 cases in the $15 to $50 price range on newegg...

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I don't think you will need more then 380 W anyway, but better safe then sorry. Corsair and Seasonic are good PSU suppliers, can you see about getting a 400 W Corsair PSU? (DO NOT go for Cooler Master PSU's, they lie about their wattage).

That's about it. Sorry if this reply is messy. Reply to me if you have any problems or questions. Below is the slightly technical explanation of how HDDs and SSDs work inside. Now, I'm going to take a break!
:pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
A HDD is a disc. When you write information, the disc spins. Then it stops. The information is written on the space where the disk stops spinning. Kind of like taking a book out of a library, and returning it to the same spot. You can put a different book in that space, or leave it empty. Comprendo?

A SSD is VERY different. It doesn't have a disc. It's just electrical signals. That's why it's soooo fast. However, every single time you remove or add a book from the "library", you lose a space for a book. I could explain to you how, but it doesn't really make much sense, even to me, and you would forget about the library.

So, a SSD will eventually kill itself, while a HDD is immortal. But in real life, the HDD fails due to the pin or disc breaking, and the SSD will fail due to hardware breakage way before the library runs outta space. Anyway, it has space for 100000000000000000000 books. That's it.

!