Will my old Audigy2 produce true 5.1?

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
I am currently running on board sound with optical out to my receiver. I am suspicious that the on board sound may be limited (even though Asus advertises it as being great). My motherboard is an Asus P8z77v-pro and my old sound card is an Audigy2 (ca0102-ict). The Asus supposedly does 7.1 surround with DTS. I only need 5.1 but I do want DTS or Dolby encoding. Will I hear better digital 5.1 out of my mobo or my ancient sound card?

Solution

regarding your turtle beach dx12 headphones.....they need to have "dolby digital live" running for them to generate 5.1 sound (in some games anyway)

bigkid

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

I was using onboard sound on a gigabyte ga-p67a-ud4 board...realtek audio ....5.1 headphones(medusa nx true 5.1 surround) using analog jacks - under win7 64 bit i couldnt get the base to work properly. SO -- i dugout my old sb audigy - i remembered having driver issues but thought i'd give it a try.....downloaded 64bit win 7 drivers and alchemy app from http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?prodID=149&prodName=Audigy%202
only installed that driver and the alchemy app which you need to function properly.....i didnt install the other creative apps -- everything 5.1 works fine and the base works --- the sound quality also seems a bit better than onboard - since my audigy is about 10yrs old i may consider gettina a newer xonar sound card - but all seems well with the audigy -- good luck

bigkid

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
yep -- if you want 5.1 you're better off using the analog jacks ... thats where my onboard sound under win7 64 bit didnt handle the output correctly -- and i hat the latest realtek drivers installed --- if you go with your audigy don't forget to uninstall all old sound drivers....shutdown -then install audigy card - restart, and on reboot disable onboard sound in bios before windows starts ---- load the audigy driver, then install the alchemy app before you attempt to use sound.

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
It seems like I am getting real 5.1 with the onboard via optical. The tests check out.. As it plays through individual speakers when it is attached to my home theater receiver. However, I cannot get 5.1 through my turtle beach dx12 when connected directly to the mobo. The reason I may want a sound card is I have read that sound cards are superior to on-board sound and that I will not be able to take advantage of my dx12's without a dedicated sound card. Though, supposedly the onboard sound on the p8z77v-pro is pretty advanced.

bigkid

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

regarding your turtle beach dx12 headphones.....they need to have "dolby digital live" running for them to generate 5.1 sound (in some games anyway)

Solution