Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Rapidly fluctuating CPU temperatures - need help please.

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2013 9:42:49 PM

Hello, so I'm having an issue with my CPU temperature, it's fluctuating 20-30 degrees whenever I actually do anything on my computer and by that I mean if I open a game, browser, watch an online stream or a video on youtube, If I exit out of them it drops dramatically and within seconds. The temperatures are going between ~20 degrees Celsius idle and if I open a game or whatever it spikes up to around ~45 degrees Celsius and if I have say, a game like World of Warcraft open and a browser it goes to 50-60 degrees Celsius depending on what is open on the browser, it's doing this within seconds and I don't really know why. All I can think is maybe a sensor on my motherboard is broken?

Oh and I'm using Core Temp to monitor the temperatures.

Anyways, here's PC spec's:

AMD FX 8350 not OC'd, with Stock cooler (getting a new one in a week or so because this stock one is ridiculously noisy)
Gigabyte 970a-DS3 motherboard
8 gigs of patriot ram 1600 speed
Gigabyte GTX 650 graphics card, no issues here
700 watt power supply
120 gig ssd, no issues there
Corsair 200R case
Currently 6 fans in my case 2 on top and 1 in back are exhaust, 2 on side and 1 in front are intake.

If you need anymore information please let me know and I'll do my best for yah.

More about : rapidly fluctuating cpu temperatures

a c 156 à CPUs
February 6, 2013 9:47:28 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

How good is the CPU/heatsink installation? Check.
m
l
February 6, 2013 9:48:31 PM

the spiking is normal do to varying voltages, but 50-60 degrees is a bit high.. you might want to get a new cooler
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2013 9:49:32 PM

It's snug and absorbing heat as far as I can tell by touching it.
m
l
February 6, 2013 9:51:22 PM

@ndslite

Yeah I'm definitely getting a new cooler when I'm able too, the spiking just started about a day or so ago so that's why I'm confused.
m
l
February 6, 2013 9:53:30 PM

Tbh your highest temp is pretty normal (60)
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2013 9:54:42 PM

From what you describe this is perfectly normal. I experience this with my 3570k doing the same things you described basically. These new processors have very sensitive sensors that update significantly quicker than some of the older processors I've used.

m
l
February 6, 2013 9:59:09 PM

@Orlean

Ok that makes me feel better about it, maybe all I need is a better cooler/heatsink for the CPU.

Thanks everyone for the crazy fast responses! :) 
m
l