Sign in with
Your question

What PSU to buy?

Last response: in Components
February 6, 2013 10:10:28 PM

So I need to buy a new power supply. And what I am looking for is a psu with around 700-900 watts, which is has some kind of low noise fan, and has a specific modular cable options.

So I have been looking at the OCZ ZT 750W, but there are a lot of complains on the fan noise on this PSU, so will keep on looking. Or else i will just go for the OCZ psu.

So does anybody know about a PSU that you could recommend, and that has the same modular as the OCZ? I have some custom cables that im going to use with a psu with those psu connectors.

Appreciate every little help i can get :) 

More about : psu buy

a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 10:16:10 PM

The ocz zt is a good psu, it might have a noisy fan, but it's a good psu.
There're others, specify the budget and the country you're living in.
February 6, 2013 10:30:16 PM

I can just look at the budget later. I live In Norway though ;)  just name something, whatever the price is
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 10:36:11 PM

SeaSonic Platinum-1000w- is the king of PSU's
the Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w is 80+ Gold Rated, and is also very good for half the price
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 11:19:19 PM

Kirie63 said:
I can just look at the budget later. I live In Norway though ;)  just name something, whatever the price is

XFX 750 XXX edition or black edition.
a b ) Power supply
February 7, 2013 12:08:58 AM

the OCZ noise issue comes in at high loads, that is not an uncommon issue with many PSU. what hardware do you plan to power with it since most people rarely break 350w gaming with a single video card.
February 7, 2013 7:40:08 AM

Ahaa, I have the Msi Z77 MPower, Msi Geforce GTX 680 Lighting, Avexir 16 Gb 1600mhz Mpower core seires, 3770k cpu, and the h60 water cooler. after installing this and borrowing a PSU, i found out that LinusTechTips actually has allmost the same setup, and with the OCZ psu with 750 watts.
But im considering going for one more of the gtx 680 lightning, and do some more watercooling with tubes and all that.

Thank you guys for the help!
a b ) Power supply
February 7, 2013 10:05:12 AM

full system specs? and budget

a b ) Power supply
February 7, 2013 10:16:44 AM

Kirie63 said:
Ahaa, I have the Msi Z77 MPower, Msi Geforce GTX 680 Lighting, Avexir 16 Gb 1600mhz Mpower core seires, 3770k cpu, and the h60 water cooler. after installing this and borrowing a PSU, i found out that LinusTechTips actually has allmost the same setup, and with the OCZ psu with 750 watts.
But im considering going for one more of the gtx 680 lightning, and do some more watercooling with tubes and all that.

Thank you guys for the help!

Measured power consumption one card

System in IDLE = 144W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 307W
Difference (GPU load) = 163W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 173 Watts

Measured power consumption two cards in SLI

System in IDLE = 155W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 473W
Difference (GPU load) = 318W
Add average IDLE wattage ~20W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 338 Watts

Mind you that the system wattage is measured at the wall socket side and there are other variables like PSU power efficiency. So this is a calculated value, albeit a very good one.

GeForce GTX 680 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 680 SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock the GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_680_sl...

plenty of good 750w+ offerings from corsair, pc power & cooling, silverstone, enermax, xfx, seasonic, OCZ, and antec if you do plan to run SLI

something like the corsair TX750w...
a b ) Power supply
February 8, 2013 12:33:30 AM

black edition yar

!