Sign in with
Your question

GPU Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2012 2:05:29 AM

I recently ran into a rather frustrating problem. I have a MSI GT780R-012US Notebook that has been running into problems with what I think is a GPU problem. Whenever I start to play a game my frames start out fine, but after about 10-20 minutes my frames drop to around ten. I have tried playing Batman AC, Deus Ex HR, and Borderlands all with the same problem. I assumed that it was a problem with overheating, but when i monitored it the temperature never went over 99C. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, done virus scans, and other fixes to no avail. The oddest thing is that Saints Row 3 works perfectly fine for hours on end. If anyone could help me or give any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Processor:Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.9 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 560m

More about : gpu problem

a b Î Nvidia
August 4, 2012 3:00:54 AM

99C? Are you serious? That's serious overheating dude.. Graphics card shouldn't run hotter than 85C and CPU should not go over 70C.

I'd call the warranty and let them fix the heat issues.
m
l
August 4, 2012 3:23:47 AM

Either the airways are blocked or your build-in cooler fan spoiled.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b Î Nvidia
August 4, 2012 3:35:51 AM

Some GPUs can handle 99c just fine. I can't think of any CPUs. It's probably throttling its speed down to save itself, and that will cause the game to slow down.
m
l
August 4, 2012 3:42:04 AM

99 C = 210.2 F

That's almost the boiling point of water at sea level. It's a wonder that your GPU still works at all. How long have you owned the PC?

Get that thing cleaned out before you wind up with a blown GPU.
m
l
August 4, 2012 7:42:35 PM

I have had the laptop for a little less than a year. It definitely has to do with the temperature as when i removed the bottom plate to expose the fan (which is working fine) the temperature stays at a highest of 96C which does not cause any lag whatsoever. I suppose now my question is what can I do to improve either the fan speed or overall heat problem of the GPU. I know there are laptop coolers but that would be my last resort.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 4, 2012 9:06:23 PM

Try cleaning the dust.
m
l
!