Your question

Jumper configuration for ide config.

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Cable
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 6, 2013 11:10:37 PM

I am still attempting to install an old IDE hd in my Dimension 5150. If you are disinterested in older components, please ignore this post. I have encountered a certain sarcasm against working with old components.

Dimension has optical drive. this drive has 6 pins; pins 1-2 (left side) are jumpered. I wish to set this as the slave.

Old HD has 9 pins; from the left, positions 3 and 5 have jumpers (position 1 is single pin). I wish to set this as master.

Ironically, the HD is set to Cable Select, according to diagram on the case. However, the end of the cable used for this drive in previous computer is not blue, as suggested on internet sites.

Also, some websites have claimed that I cannot connect optical and hard drive on same ide cable. Is this true?

Can somebody answer queries above, and specify jumper positions on each drive.

I do not desire cable select; I hav no desire to slice into my ide cables.

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : jumper configuration ide config

February 6, 2013 11:21:54 PM

Optical drives will normally have the jumper configuration stamped into the casing and HDD's usually have it on the label somewhere. There was also no need for the attitude in your last thread on this same matter which could explain why it didn't get answered.
m
l
February 7, 2013 7:08:16 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Optical drives will normally have the jumper configuration stamped into the casing and HDD's usually have it on the label somewhere. There was also no need for the attitude in your last thread on this same matter which could explain why it didn't get answered.

No offense was intended. Why would one be taken???

I was simply stating my observations.

I will be much more careful on any future posts.
m
l
February 7, 2013 7:22:18 PM

There is no jumper configuration displayed on the DVD drive casing.

Also, my question on incompatibility of optical/hd on same ide cable was not answered.

Will seek my answers elsewhere. :(  :??: 
m
l
February 9, 2013 6:49:10 PM

An optical drive and a HDD can be used on the same IDE cable but if both are set as masters then they may conflict.
m
l
February 9, 2013 8:41:25 PM

I cannot find an IDE cable select with my required measurements: 7" between connections, and then 14" to the mob.
Since this is impossible, I am back where I started, setting the DVD as master an HD as slave Many have said this will not work.
I guess it will or won't.
m
l
February 10, 2013 12:18:36 AM

If it's one cable then yes it will if it's on separate cables then it might not because the device at the end of the cable needs to be set as a master.
m
l
May 1, 2013 5:01:19 PM

I followed all the advice I received on this and other websites.
The drives worked as expected.

Then I took the Dimension 5150 in for "service" a local "service" centre. Now the Wifi connection has been lost (netbook works on this network, as other does desktop) and IDE drives have been rendered dysfunctional.
Upon 3rd return to get my $70 "service" done, they made it clear they were not about to fix my computer and did not want to see me around there again.
Meanwhile, one of them was insisting I purchase a used Dell laptop from them (no chance of that). I have no need for any further mobility.

With all respect, there are lot of scheisters in the home computer business. I have been suckered once again.
m
l
!