AthlonXP copper CPU shims. Needed or not?

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello,

I've been noticing something new while shopping for AthlonXP CPUs. Recommended copper CPU shims.
I've installed several T-birds and heatsinks, never with any problems.
Are these shims recommended, and if so, why?

Thanks for your help with this..
Mag...

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
The only use of the shims is to prevent a user from chipping the edge of a core when placing or removing the hsf....if you are experienced in installing the hsf then you should have no use for it....although some do say that it aids in cooling by distributing heat, which im not sure how much truth there is to that and how much it will actually help.

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's pretty much what I have heard at the hardware sites offering them. I've never imagined having a problem with chipping unless a person got carried away or careless.
I guess it's possible that the shim could help distribute heat a bit better, but since it doesn't seem to contact the die, I can't see it being extremely effective at this.

Thanks for replying...
Mag...

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i got a shim because i have a big heavy heatsink and i move my computer around a lot. its just a five dollar insurance policy.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

zeexen

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
OOPS!

I have a Swiftech462 (800gram) without a shim. And I move my comp a lot.

I have another insurance policy: When you buy a swiftech, you get small plastic rings to put over the holes off your mobo if there isn't a ground-contact around the holes.

Well, I saw that if I would place the screws direct on my mobo, I would have a short circuit!!
So, I put the rings, place the hsf and turned it on. After a minut I smelled something burning.
Directly turned off the comp and checked the hsf. The rings where to thick, there was a space of 1mm between cpu and hsf!!

With my dremel I polished the small rings to take of the 1mm. Now it fits perfectly, And there's no pressure over the cpu.

XP1800+@2000+ (fsb 145mhz) Temp: 40°C (stressed)
ambient temp: 18°
mobo temo: 28°

when on normal speed, idle and ambient temp on 15° the cpu temp is around the 24°

If I buy the boxed version of the "hammer", will I get a box of nails for free??

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ive got the lower model and my temps are the same, you screwed up somewhere i think. what holes are you talking about? the holes with metal bushings around them? yea, those are ground contacts, their supposed to connect to the case.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

zeexen

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
I don't have those groundcontacts around the four holes.

Your temps are the same??
hmmm, Is your computer stuffed (like mine) or pretty much empty (lot of airflow, no obstacles).

If I buy the boxed version of the "hammer", will I get a box of nails for free??

zeexen

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2002
btw: the 1800 has a pal-core
Just bought the XP2200+;
temps are 36° stressed and 34° non-stressed.

NICE!!