How to overclock past the end of afterburner sliders

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
I have maxed out the sliders on my radeon hd 7970 1200/1650 and am completely stable. I want to go farther but I can't seem to get it to work. I have read how to enable unofficial overclock by changing the values in the .cfg file, but even though it allows me to enter higher clocks, the clocks dont get applied so when I run furmark it shows that the clocks are still 1200/1650 even though I entered 1300/1650.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Go to the folder containing MSI Afterburner

find the .cfg file

open in notepad

scroll down to the bottom

find the entry called UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0

change the 0 to a 1

save

open afterburner

If you already did that and you are having issues, try using the AMD Control Center overclocking section to overclock it. You will need to unlock it as well, google.

"1st - Dowload the latest MSI AfterBurner link located in Update above and install.
2nd - Locate the folder where MSI Afterburner installed to, open it, and locate the CFG file named MSIAfterburner. When you 1st dbl click this file it will ask you what program you want to use to open it, choose "Notepad" and click "ok" Once you have the MSIAfterburner CFG file open in notepad you need to change a couple of settings near the bottom:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1 (to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path)<--Do not type this, just for reference I have mine set to = 1

After you have made these changes, DO NOT forget to click "file" and "save" before exiting notepad, or your changes will not take into effect!"

From here http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=182403

A little more then just changing a 0 into a 1 now.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Sorry you are wrong, they made it where you no longer need to agree to the EULA in the .cfg file for the unofficialoverclocking tool to be enabled.

A little google research would have showed you this.