rcheek

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I hope someone can help me - I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

I've recently had a local computer store (MicroCenter) build a computer from parts I ordered. The tech who built it said that, during installation, the memory caused some problems when trying to load Windows 7. He did a memory test and said it turned out fine. I took the computer home, and within 24 hours I saw a recurring problem:

Randomly, as far as I can tell, the screen will go black for anywhere from 1-15 seconds. When it returns, I see this message:

"Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version xxx stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I've gotten it for driver 295.73 and for 3035.6. I took the computer back to MicroCenter and the same tech who built it. He ran multiple memory tests and a VGA stress test. He said there were no apparent problems that he could replicate, so he downloaded all new drivers. I just got the computer back today, and guess what happened within 2 hours of powering up?

"Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 295.73 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I'm at a loss. Why would a tech be unable to replicate the error in 4 days, yet I get it within 2 hours of being told it was fine? It cant be the configuration - no change from when it was at the store. Here are my specs:

CPU - Intel 3930
Motherboard - ASUS P9X79 Deluxe
RAM - G Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 32GB (8x4)
GPU - EVGA GeForce 570 with 2.56 GB

Can anyone help?

Actually, don't go for older drivers, those ones you are using are way old. Instead, specifically install (with the "clean install" option) the 304.79 drivers from the Nvidia website.
http://www.geforce.com/#/

rcheek

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I took it back to the tech who built it and he determined that the memory was bad and the source of the error. He replaced it with new memory, and I've not had any problems.

Thanks, again.