Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Clock stuck at max (3.8ghz), help please...?

Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2013 2:39:13 AM

Hi, I recently was overclocking my i7-3930k, and reverted to stock speeds, for sake of temperatures. I noticed that when I opened CPU-Z, my clock speed was at the max I set it (3.8ghz). I opened task manager to see that nothing was hogging all my resources. I have tried resetting the BIOS, but that didn't seem to help. More info down below. Help please?

More about : cpu clock stuck max 8ghz

a c 900 à CPUs
a c 164 K Overclocking
February 7, 2013 6:10:39 AM

Do system properties report the same speed?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 6:39:47 AM

That is normal. You really have nothing to worry about. Your Clock Speed is not stuck or anything of the sort. That's just the way CPU-Z deals with its reading.

I thought I had an issue also when I first realized this a couple of months ago, but checked other PC's and CPU-Z was doing the same thing. I'm not sure if CPU-Z actually tries to show the highest Clock Speed the CPU has reached in the past or CPU-Z is just running with a glitch.

Considering your CPU Temps (44°C) and CPU Usage Percentage (1%), you really have nothing to worry about.

You might want to use another Hardware & Temp Monitoring Software as each and every one of these have their own Glitches and Pitfalls. Find one that works for you best and just stick to it. I personally use AIDA64 Extreme Engineers Edition and have not looked back or elsewhere ever since.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 6:52:48 AM

Turn on speedstep in bios.
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
February 7, 2013 7:09:53 AM

Nedal0 said:
That is normal. You really have nothing to worry about. Your Clock Speed is not suck or anything of the sort. That's just the way CPU-Z deals with its reading.

I thought I had an issue also when I first realized this a couple of months ago, but checked other PC's and CPU-Z was doing the same thing. I'm not if it actually tries to show the highest Clock Speed the CPU has reached in the past or CPU-Z is just running with a glitch.

Considering you CPU Temps (44°C) and CPU Usage Percentage (1%), you really have nothing to worry about.

You might want to use another Hardware & Temp Monitoring Software as each and every one of these have their own Glitches and Pitfalls. Find one that works for you best and just stick to it. I personally use AIDA64 Extreme Engineers Edition and have not looked back or elsewhere ever since.

+1... my CPU-Z screen shows me 3093 MHz while idling while core temp reports 1596MHz. CPU-Z probably just reports the max clock only. Only thing is I cant remember if it did that always or is this something with the latest available download.
m
l
February 7, 2013 3:47:54 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
Turn on speedstep in bios.

Already on (almost certain), I even reset the BIOS several times.
m
l
February 7, 2013 4:01:01 PM

Nedal0 said:
That is normal. You really have nothing to worry about. Your Clock Speed is not stuck or anything of the sort. That's just the way CPU-Z deals with its reading.

I thought I had an issue also when I first realized this a couple of months ago, but checked other PC's and CPU-Z was doing the same thing. I'm not sure if CPU-Z actually tries to show the highest Clock Speed the CPU has reached in the past or CPU-Z is just running with a glitch.

Considering your CPU Temps (44°C) and CPU Usage Percentage (1%), you really have nothing to worry about.

Strange. I just used Speccy and AID64 Trial edition and got these results:

Also, the clock speeds on all three programs were fluctuating from 3799.9-3800.1.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 5:03:56 PM

That's an anomaly when it's .1 off.
Get core temp and see what it says.
m
l
February 7, 2013 5:08:23 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
That's an anomaly when it's .1 off.
Get core temp and see what it says.

I get about 40°-47°C for package temperature.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2013 7:16:52 PM

That isn't the reason i said to get core temp.
Core temp will show if your CPU speed is rising and falling
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2013 8:22:16 AM

Can you go to the Tools Option in AIDA 64 and selct AIDA64 CPUID from the list then post the info from there ?

If the information you are posting is right, then there is something you have not done right. According to the info, you are still Over Clocking your CPU.

Are you new to Over Clocking ?
m
l
February 21, 2013 3:13:36 AM

Best answer selected by bluethulhu.
m
l
!